HELP! Vox Night Train With No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Vox Night Train With No Power

Hey my NT wont turn after i left it on for a couple of hours after playing it. I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. Not sure how to tell if its a tube is bad. I replaced the preamps (12ax7) with a spare i had , but no luck.
    There was a little piece that came out of the amp when i took it apart i dont know if it is related or could be the cause. Are there any test i can do with a multi-meter to find the problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	l;aksg.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	821261

Comment

Thanks for the photo, as a matter of fact, to me, that little bit tells the whole story.

Of course I could be mistaken.

FLip the power switch back and forth. Feel normal or loose?

Look at the power switch inside, has it fallen apart?

That piece looks like the contact rocker from inside a rocker switch. The little wide spots in the middle support it in the center and the ends move up and down, like a seesaw or teeter-totter. The round dot is the actual electrical contact.

This wouldn't have anything to do with leaving it on. An amp doesn't know the difference between sitting there turned on by itself and turned on being used.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

WOW thanks for replying so fast.

yup the power switch has been loose for some time and now is more loose than before.

Should I be able to pop this sucker back in?

Comment

Not likely, but look around, there may also be a small spring and a tiny little metal ball, maybe smaller than a BB. If those are rolling around inside, they can get on your circuit board and cause serious damage.

Repair? Just replace the switch.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Vox Night Train Schematic

It appears to be a SPDT switch that they are only using one side.
            Attached Files

Comment

Cheap ass switch. Replace it with something better....Carling or the like....
              The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Yep, replace it. Carling used to be good; however I've noticed a downward trend in their quality in the past couple of years. On the other hand, the trend has been to not switch completely, not nearly as bad as falling apart and spilling metallic components all over the electronics inside.

This is one case where having the manufacturer's original part to repair with is NOT what you want.
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

It very well may be that the amp did a turtle roll, smashing the switch in the process.

Comment

At the risk of going on tangent...

In a couple of shops I have been in, we used to play the "parts game." You would call out "Parts game!" And hold up some little something. The others would then have to tell you what it was. This little piece is exactly the sort of thing that would be held up.

Comment

VOX NT 50

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                      It appears to be a SPDT switch that they are only using one side.
                      Anyone got the schematics for his big brother Night Train 50 ??

Or.. do you think is it possible to build a bigger night train with 2xEL34 with same schematics (of the NT15) changing transformer and few things more??

Thanks

Comment

Transformers.
                        Plural.
                        The power transformer & the output transformer will need to be changed.

Comment

Hi All,

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a related question for the Vox NT-15 Night Train amp head. I have the first version, without the built-in digital reverb. As you probably are aware, there are a ton of mods on the net for this amp, some of which I'd like to try. Now, generally I'm pretty good at getting things apart but I can't figure out how to remove the circuitboard from the chassis without putting the very small (16mm), very light duty pots thru hell and back. If someone has taken the circuitboard out of one of these amps, I'd appreciate a few pointers. I, of course, removed the 4 screws holding the board to the chassis, removed the pots and jacks mounting hardware and of course, the tubes. I know some guys do certain mods without removing the board but if it went in, it must be able to come out as well.

Thanks in adv,

Bob M.

Comment

Respectfully, I'm not sure why you'd "hijack" a 6 year old thread with a new question. You'll get better response if you start a new one.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The Dude,

I guess you're right and I'll take your sage advice.

Bob M.

Comment

Working...
                              X