Understanding Wire Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Wire Tension

Hi All! First time newb poster here that has been lurking for a little while. I have built a winder and have tried my hand at winding a few pickups already and I think they came out ok. My question is how much tension do you want to apply to the ** gauge of wire that you are winding with . If the breaking point of said wire is say 40 grams of tension would you want a consistent 20 grams of preasure when winding? I know that you would not want to enter the area of the wire stretching at all so where would a safe tension be? How am I measuring this, a postal scale attatched to two felt disks on a bell crank that the wire proceeds through, works well. I'll try to take a video of it and post,
    Regards
    Chris
    Here is YouTube link, I appologize for the lack of depth in the video... hard to wind and shoot with a camera on your head.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nXt6...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Chris_H; 08-03-2011, 02:59 AM. Reason: Adding info

Good work, the winding machine is crafted well.
    About wire tension I want to note that
    the wire tension itself does not affect frequency characteristics
    as much as number of turns in the layout of a single layer.
    You can check it here.
    YouTube channel
    Contact us:
    sthandling@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrCandy View Post
      the wire tension itself does not affect frequency characteristics
      Too much Science spoils the broth
      I think tension has just so much to do with the sound of a pickup as winding patterns
      Last edited by copperheadroads; 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM.
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

lol, Your tensioner looks very much like mine.

Comment

Kev, you are the fellow that I need to thank for that pic of your dancer and very nicely machined winder. I had been reading thread after thread on the topic and your views made sence the most. Thankyou. The dancer that you designed works very well adjusting to the shape of the bobbin at all speeds thus creating a more even tension on all sides of it and reducing the chance of loose winds or the other end of the spectrum, stretching of the wire. I adapted a small postal scale so as to see if my felt tensioner was failing at all through the wind, the wire eroding a small channel through the felt as I wound. I have wound about 6 pickups now with the scale and yes there is a reduction in preasure on the wire, nothing dramatic but about 2 grams when nearing 5500 turns or so. This was with formvar wire. I just compensate by titening the tensioner a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
            Too much Science spoils the broth
            I think tension has just so much to do with the sound of a pickup as winding patterns
            About tension real impact of this factor you can see here and here
            And about winding pattern look here and here

Pure science, nothing personal.
            YouTube channel
            Contact us:
            sthandling@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_H View Post
              How am I measuring this, a postal scale attatched to two felt disks on a bell crank that the wire proceeds through, works well.
              I am very interested in how your postal scale tension apparatus works, but I guess I'm a little slower than most I guess as I'm just not getting how it works. Could you provide a bit more detailed explanation and possible a couple of close up photos?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Take Care,

Jim. . .
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Hate to spoil the party here but tension does have a profound effect on tone. Wind 2 coils with looser tension and listen to them together, then wind 2 with tight tension and listen to them together. You'll see what I mean, all other parameters being equal. Love science myself but in this case science is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
                  Hate to spoil the party here but tension does have a profound effect on tone. Wind 2 coils with looser tension and listen to them together, then wind 2 with tight tension and listen to them together. You'll see what I mean, all other parameters being equal. Love science myself but in this case science is wrong.
                  You didn't tell us which tension you like the best.
                  You left us in suspense!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
                    Love science myself but in this case science is wrong.
                    But it is science. When the coil is tighter the winds are closer together, this changes the capacitance and probably some mutual induction from turn to turn. Also, the tighter coil is smaller, and there may be some stretching of wire involved.

See? Wasn't that easy?
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi Big Teee, I like all sorts of tension, depends on what I'm winding. I have found that in the instance with a strat setup, If I wind looser, the pickups get a good funkiness to them by themselves but when combined they loose a lot of sparkle. You can play with the tension on different positions to get unique tones in all positions. But for simplicities sake, if you wind tight when 2 strat coils are used together they have better highs and sparkle, loose and they lose it and a good deal of high end. These are my findings, YMMV

Comment

Working...
                      X