Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

65 Gibson SG jr needs a new bridge. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Gibson SG jr needs a new bridge. Help!

The bridge on my 1965 Gibson SG jr is worn out. I looked on the internet but cant really find what I'm looking for. Theres talk about the original bridges were intonated for heavier gauge G string,I use 010 gauge strings. Where can I find a bridge for this guitar? One that will work with todays lighter gauge strings. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Allparts has several bridges that will work. Many Epiphone guitars come with a version of that bridge made for a plain G.
    Nickel Compensated Stop Tailpiece | Allparts.com
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a SG Jr bridge:

STEWMAC.COM : SG Junior Bridge

They state:

...in the original design for a wound G string and non-staggered mounting stud placement.
      Someone posted that this won't intonate with todays thinner strings. So this is like the original.

So your other options are an adjustable bridge like these:

STEWMAC.COM : Wilkinson/Gotoh Adjustable Bridge/Tailpiece

STEWMAC.COM : Adjustable Wraparound Bridge

STEWMAC.COM : Schroeder Stoptail Bridge

There's more too:

STEWMAC.COM : Electric guitar, non-trem tailpieces
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
        Allparts has several bridges that will work. Many Epiphone guitars come with a version of that bridge made for a plain G.
        Nickel Compensated Stop Tailpiece | Allparts.com
        Yeah thats what I was looking for. A bridge thats made for an un wound G string. Theres two versions of this, one is made like the original thats for a wound G string, and the other is made for todays lighter gauge strings with a plane G string.

Comment

I would use the adjustable version if it were me....just to have the best possible intonation.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Also, that guitar will sound and stay in tune better if you just string it as a hardtail.
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Best Wrap i tried (by far) is the Faber : Tokai Guitar - TPWC-59NA, Wrap-around, compensated, nickel, aged 3021

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                I would use the adjustable version if it were me....just to have the best possible intonation.
                I agree! I can't take listening to those non adjustable bridges. Same with the three saddle Tele bridges. Those guitars always sound out of tune to me.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Adjustable wraps don't sound like wraps to my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by kleuck View Post
                    Adjustable wraps don't sound like wraps to my ears.
                    How so?

Comment

Sorry, as i'm french, i'm not sure to understand your question, but i suppose you are asking for more precisions
                      In a few words : one piece/non adjustable wraparounds gives an obvious "acoustic" vibe where adjustable ones just do not.

Comment

Sorry, as i'm french, i'm not sure to understand your question, but i suppose you are asking for more precisions
                        In a few words : one piece/non adjustable wraparounds gives an obvious "acoustic" vibe where adjustable ones just do not.
                        That all depends on what the bridge is made of, and how heavy it is. If you get a lightweight adjustable bridge it will sound the same.

Aluminum bridges sound very nice to me.

Comment

Faber are aluminium indeed, i did not test adjustable wraps made of aluminium though.
                          But i thik that all pieces of hardware are not aluminium right ?
                          So i doubt the sound can be the same, i have an ash strat, where i replaced the standard saddles, and only them by plain steel ones, and all others things being equal, the sound is waaaaaaaaay different.
                          I can't imagine it can be very different with an aluminium wrap with adjustable steel or brass saddles.
                          But you're Right, my message wasn’t clear enough, i was talking about aluminum wraps, with brass ones, adjustable saddles or not doesn't give any difference, or very very light one.
                          Last edited by kleuck; 08-26-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Faber are aluminium indeed, i did not test adjustable wraps made of aluminium though.
                            But i thik that all pieces of hardware are not aluminium right ?
                            So i doubt the sound can be the same, i have an ash strat, where i replaced the standard saddles, and only them by plain steel ones, and all others things being equal, the sound is waaaaaaaaay different.
                            I can't imagine it can be very different with an aluminium wrap with adjustable steel or brass saddles.
                            But you're Right, my message wasn’t clear enough, i was talking about aluminum wraps, with brass ones, adjustable saddles or not doesn't give any difference, or very very light one.
                            Unless otherwise noted, most of the wrap around bridges and other Gibson bridge parts are made of zinc.

If you had an aluminum bridge, you would probably want aluminum saddles. People often use steel saddles for more bite, or brass saddles for a warmer tone.

But given the choice I'd rather have my guitar play in tune than to have a slight change in tone. Or I would make aluminum saddles.

Comment

For me, compensated wraps are enough to have a well tuned guitar.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	TPWC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	822758

Comment

Working...
                              X