jazzmaster Pickup - coil winds, general schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzmaster Pickup - coil winds, general schematic

Hey guys! Noob here - was referred here when I was over at Offsetguitars.com poking around about building my own JM pickups.

I got all the parts from mojo - the flatword, alnico V rods, 42 gauge formvar... I even made this hilarious diagram so I wouldn't forget a step:

ANYWAY - my diagram for winds is not right, and I want to know more specifics.

a) how many winds for the neck p/up?
    b) how many winds for the bridge p/up?

I can see roughly 8500 from a page on the net, but that doesn't take into consideration that one is wound less than the other since I think the neck is hotter than the bridge.

c) what range of output should each p/up have to be vintage correct?

I'm hoping someone here can help a guy out. :-) Thanks in advance!

I think that the two pickups in a Jazzmaster are wound with reverse windings and polarity, so that they humbuck in the middle position. Be sure to look into that before you wind. I'm sure that someone else here will know for certain. Check with the guys in the pickup forum. Best of luck with your project.

Comment

GRRR! My late night posting puts me in the wrong forum once again. ;-)

For future searches, I reposted here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26280/

You are right, they're reverse wound / reverse polarity for humbucking when used together.

I'll re-post this thread in the proper forum and see what they get. The guys that I ordered the parts from said 9500-9800 winds, with roughly 800 less for the neck (I had it backwards - neck should be about 7.6k and bridge should be 8.4k, roughly).

Thanks for the reply - and heads up about the wrong forum. ;-)
      Last edited by greysun; 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X