Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson wiring question

Hi everyone,

I've got an old Gibson Dirty Fingers that has TWO single conductor leads. (One for each coil) I know this is so that one coil can be turned off, but I have no idea how to wire this pickup, for regular series operation OR for regular series mode with a split switch in case I decide to try it out as a single coil. Any ideas? Thank you!

Originally posted by Ferd Burple View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've got an old Gibson Dirty Fingers that has TWO single conductor leads. (One for each coil) I know this is so that one coil can be turned off, but I have no idea how to wire this pickup, for regular series operation OR for regular series mode with a split switch in case I decide to try it out as a single coil. Any ideas? Thank you!
    I had a set of those. The second lead goes to the series connection between the coils. To switch the pickup into single coil mode, you either connect that lead to hot or ground, depending on which coil you want to switch out.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

David, thank you SO much. I got this one on eBay and it's damn near pristine. I'm positive that it's not a reissue. There is about 1 inch of of braid missing on one of the leads....between the pickup and the hot lead. (yes, I'm serious. LOL) Weirdest thing I've even seen. What is a good method of repairing the braid. Thanks!

Comment

I wouldn't even mess with the braid, just solder a little piece of plain wire from the braid to the pickup ground. That little bit of unshielded-ness won't matter much. If you want you can wrap the new piece around the center core for better shielding.
        making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Yu only need one of the braids grounded. They are connected together internally, along with the baseplate. The braid for the coil tap is only for shielding.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X