ts into trs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts into trs

im looking at buying a snake for my band and i want to be able to run 2 guitars with ts cables through its trs 1/4 inchers is that safe?

Any help is appreciated,
    rob

The Rane site has some great stuff that should help you understand the issues.
    http://www.rane.com/note110.html
    Library
    Why do you want to run a guitar signal along the snake? Normally the amps would be mic'ed.
    Pete.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Are you talking about Line Out signal (hope so) or straight from the pickup one?
      Because in the second case cable capacitance will destroy your highs, unless you buffer it somehow.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

And if you were thinking you could stand back 50 feet from the stage at the sound mixer and play up through the snake to your stage amp... Try it. A wireless will do as well for that. Amazing how much delay there is between playing and hearing it. Hard to play and listen to that at the same time.

Now if you were thinking two guitarists on stage could send their guitar signal down a snake to some amplifier emulator or even a program in a computer, then send the sound from THAT back to the stage monitors, well that might be feasible with little delay, but then the players would have zero control over any of it.

Considering all the problems this has for potential versus the not all that steep cost of a couple guitar wireless units, one wonders why not get a couple wireless units?

And to answer what was asked, sure it is safe - won;t harm anything - but probably won;t sound good. Can I assume the snale is 50 feet or longer? That is then like playing through a 75 foot guitar cord. Not that many guitar cords that don;t start to sound dull or muffled over about 30 feet. I never use a cord over 20 feet myself.

If you just MUST send the guitar signal down a snake, get a matching transformer for each end of the snake. On the stage end, it converts the unblanced high impedance of the guitar to a low impedanced balanced signal for the long ride through the snake. Then on the receiving end, andother one reverses the process. There you have more or less the signal as it left the guitar. However, if you were going into a bal;anced input on a mixer anyway, then just the transformer at the stage end is needed.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks for the imput on this everyone. the reason i asaked is because i run the mixer for the band at my church and if i were to run them through the amp i wold have to muchthrough the system so i normaly go unbalenced from the guitars pedal board into un balenced on the mixer tht way they have all effects but run through my speakers tht way i can mix it in. if anyone has anyother suggestions on how i can make this sound beter im always happy to try it. and allso i wold be runing about a 50 foot snake.

thanks,
          rob

Comment

Well, your earlier post was quite unclear, this one is just slightly better.
            As I understand it, and I may be completely wrong, I guess you don't want a guitar amp onstage, and the guitar guy will plug into his pedalboard , sending you that fully processed line level signal for you to put it through both house PA and stage monitors.
            Is that so?
            If so, yes, you can use that snake, you can even use a regular guitar cable on stage and another similar one from your end of the snake to some line in jack at your board.
            You will be unbalancing it throughout, no big deal if you have a low impedance, around 1V signal there.
            It will be somewhat cold and sterile for him, but I have seen worse, he'll survive.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
            X