Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best shielded hookup wire for split coil HBs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best shielded hookup wire for split coil HBs?

HI all, I'm going to do a split coil humbucker, what's the group's favorite output wire? Stewie and Mojo both seem to stock the same stuff, a 4 conductor foil shield stuff at about a buck a foot (small qtys)

Is that the best choice available?
    making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

I've been using the stuff from Mojo. It's good wire at a good price.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That stuff is just fine unless you're feeling a need to branch out and try some new stuff. If you want to be fancier than that, it can run into big money real fast.

Comment

I vote for the Mojo wire.
        It has better Insulation than the StewMac stuff.
        It is a lil more heat resistant and does not run up the wire so bad when you solder to it.
        B_T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
          That stuff is just fine unless you're feeling a need to branch out and try some new stuff. If you want to be fancier than that, it can run into big money real fast.
          I see no need to use more expensive wire for something that is no longer than 8" at best.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

If you are making more than one pickup, Belden makes a boatload of cables.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/Techpprs/...ats%20What.pdf

Mil-spec cables usually have crosslinked insulation, so they won't sag when soldered.

Comment

At the moment just some protos, so don't want to invest in $100s of wire for an uncertain market, probably go with mojo based on Big T's recommend...
              making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                I see no need to use more expensive wire for something that is no longer than 8" at best.
                It is a cumulative thing, and you're right - it is rarely an issue. Sometimes I can swap the leads and hear a difference, sometimes not. It is usually the designs that are struggling to get enough high end to begin with that I hear it, and even then it generally isn't enough for me to care. I do like working with teflon instead when I can, because it is just so much more pleasing to work with, besides having superior dielectric properties to PVC. It doesn't shrink back unless you're really going nuts with the heat, and it is stiff and easier to arrange in a neat fashion. Unfortunately finding teflon wire in the sizes/varieties appropriate for guitar pickups is quite costly.

But, for PVC, the mojo is as good as anything else I've used, and seems pretty close to the duncan/dimarzio fare.

Comment

While 8" of wire isn't going to affect sound all that much, more expensive wire (like teflon) may be easier to use, and thus save money during pickup manufacture.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                    While 8" of wire isn't going to affect sound all that much, more expensive wire (like teflon) may be easier to use, and thus save money during pickup manufacture.
                    Don't See How It Could be easier to use?
                    I built a Marshall clone a few months back, and used Teflon exclusively.
                    It is wonderful wire and is small, high voltage proof, and heat resistant.
                    With that said it's the hardest stuff in the world to remove the insulation from.
                    Ended up slicing it off with an exacto knife.
                    I'll stick with platic for guitars.
                    B_T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 09-05-2011, 05:05 PM.
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Terry a decent pair of stripper make the teflon effortless to strip. Try a pair of Ideal Stripmasters with the 24-30 AWG blades. A new pair of regular strippers work almost as well but they have to be sharp. I'm using teflon 4x26 wire, I won't be going back. The silver plating makes soldering a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        Terry a decent pair of stripper make the teflon effortless to strip. Try a pair of Ideal Stripmasters with the 24-30 AWG blades. A new pair of regular strippers work almost as well but they have to be sharp. I'm using teflon 4x26 wire, I won't be going back. The silver plating makes soldering a breeze.
                        Does it sound better?
                        Your tying it to 42 gauge wire, how could it sound better, and if so where do you buy it?
                        Another observation: DS said 8 inches, he must have meant 18 inches.
                        You can't even get through the body cavity of a LP from the Neck with 8 Inches of wire.
                        B_T
                        Terry

Comment

Terry, it undoubtedly doesn't sound better but it's a whole lot more reliable and some customers will naturally assume it sounds better because of the silver. I pay about $1 a foot for in on ebay (negligible on a $5000 bass). I'd guess it takes about a foot for the neck pickup on an LP. Where you need length is in an ES-335 to go around the F holes from the switch and not show. I'm not sure length matters here though, you just pointed to the 5000 turns of 42...

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            Does it sound better?
                            Your tying it to 42 gauge wire, how could it sound better, and if so where do you buy it?
                            Another observation: DS said 8 inches, he must have meant 18 inches.
                            You can't even get through the body cavity of a LP from the Neck with 8 Inches of wire.
                            B_T
                            I supply my pickups with 12" of wire. Most of the time that gets cut shorter. But they aren't installed in a Les Paul anyway. How long are the wires on Duncans and Dimarzios? I doubt they are 18". I have a few here if I can find them.

And regardless you aren't going to find 4 conductor hook up wire that sound better than another one, unless one was really bad wire.

Comment

I supply my pickups with 12" of wire. Most of the time that gets cut shorter. But they aren't installed in a Les Paul anyway. How long are the wires on Duncans and Dimarzios? I doubt they are 18". I have a few here if I can find them.

And regardless you aren't going to find 4 conductor hook up wire that sound better than another one, unless one was really bad wire.
                              When I sell a set I put 12" on the bridge, and 18" on the neck. Who knows some Lefty may need the extra wire to break out the top of the pickup.
                              I do on mine. Retail it's just 90 Cents a foot, less for wholesale.
                              B_T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X