A little helpful info for anyone ordering from Edcor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little helpful info for anyone ordering from Edcor

Hopefully I won't get anyone in trouble by sharing this info. I spoke with an Edcor employee and learned a little bit.

They have a "limit" of around 450-475 secondary VA. If you want a custom Edcor PT and want to be sure it's something they can build, keep it inside those limits.

I made up a spreadsheet to do the calculations and it's been really helpful.

jamie

Thanks.
    Useful info.
    It's always good to know what real world parts suppliers can really offer, to avoid frustrations.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Also, Edcors transformers (if you order a stock product) are listed with loaded values, not unloaded like most. So your voltages will likely be a bit higher ~10% than a hammond, heyboer, etc product. Edcor trannies are very solid and nice sounding, btw.

Comment

OK, wow!!! I just spent 30 or 40 minutes on the phone with Larry at Edcor. He said I'm welcome to share what we talked about so I'll share some of the things I learned!

Larry does all of the design work on their audio transformers. He's a 50 year veteran of the industry. He's worked with Peerless and Altec and has a wealth of information.

As for his transformer designs, he really creates the best product he can all the time. He strives to completely fill the window on any EI lam transformer so his designs generally have oversized copper and can be taken well above the ratings on the website. I asked specifically about using the CXPP100-MS-6.6K as 3.3k to 8,4, and 2 ohms and he says it's designed to take more than 150ma per primary half and should easily produce well over a hundred watts from 30Hz up- so I'll be ordering one!

He also said they're limited to 100 watts for production ouput transformers because of end bell sizes. With the windows more or less completely filled he can't simply increase the stack size to increase the power and bandwidth. I asked if he's considered a Partridge style end bell and he's open to it so I'm sending him some pictures and information. He does have the larger lams for certain products but they're limited by mounting and endbells and it's important to them that they maintain a certain look and professional style.

He says that their audio/tube business is growing every day and they're open to new products and ideas. He loves his job and is happy to try custom and one-off designs, though they generally are built on weekends while most major production items for big customers are built during the week.

I also asked specifically about a transformer for experimentation that would have 3, 4 and 5 k primaries and multiple secondaries of my choosing. He says it's really not a problem at all and he welcomes doing custom work such as that.

I'm looking forward to trying some big Edcor iron!

jamie

Comment

Dollar for dollar edcor is it. Love the bluebells too. You'd be hard pressed to light up edcor iron. I see more and more people trying edcor and liking it, that's good. I'm sure you'll like yours.

Comment

Its refreshing to hear that a well-renowned company like Edcor will do one-offs, good on them.

For folks in the UK, be sure to check out BLS Electronics (Electrical Transformers from BLS Electronics - Mains Transformers, valve amp transformers, output transformers, inductors, pcb transformers), I've had custom iron made by them and the quality is really nice (as is the price; very reasonable).
            HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Well, it's only taken me 2 years, but I'd like to say thanks to Ian at HTH for the recommendation. I've just joined the forum after my websitr guy pointed out how many visits I was getting via here.

Simon Williams, BLS Electronics

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You should be a natural to help people understand their transformer needs and selections, and maybe sell a few in the process.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've bought some matching transformers from Edcor for line-outs. The price is great at a little over $10 but the shipping charge has been very high at around $26 (I live in Canada). Seems like a lot for an item that small and light. Perhaps there's another shipping option that I missed.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                    I've bought some matching transformers from Edcor for line-outs. The price is great at a little over $10 but the shipping charge has been very high at around $26 (I live in Canada). Seems like a lot for an item that small and light. Perhaps there's another shipping option that I missed.

Greg
                    I suggest you get into the USPS page and "shop around".

They basically offer some "fixed packages" and if you exceed one, even by fractions of an ounce, you get billed the next, more expensive one, but explore all the options, maybe it pays to add an extra item to your order (you've already paid for its freight anyway) *or* choose another , seemingly more expensive option, but which matches you better.

As an example, I sell speakers, some of which weigh slightly under 3 Kg.

My Postal Service offers 1/2/5/10Kg packs so 1 speaker gets into the 5Kg one, 2 jump to the 10Kg rate, but I suggest customers to order an extra one, they'll *still* pay the same as for 2 speakers (10Kg rate) .

*Very* often they order the "extra" speaker, either as a spare, or for a friend.
                    Win-win situation for all.

So you might order something else for the same freight.

Enzo (and others) always suggest ordering some extra parts you might need in the future, when buying from Mouser/Digikey, etc. , for the same reason.

Or the other option (applies to International Post):
                    "Official " post services (such as USPS) offer a "semi Courier" Service, called EMS .
                    Much faster, clears Customs with less problems, has better tracking, etc.
                    Usually 10/20% more expensive than the "regular" one, *but* offers more options.
                    In this case, 1/2/3/4/5/6/8/10Kg
                    So it's actually cheaper to send 2 speakers via EMS (I get charged 6 Kg) than "regular", which jumps to 10.

Get into their page and check.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks,

It probably is as you say: it's just heavy enough to put it into the next shipping cost category. I could probably order a few at a time and pay the same shipping rate as one.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                      X