Begining in making pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Begining in making pickups

Hi i´m Juan Motta from Uruguay and i want to start making pickups!! My cuestion is because i have read some in this forum and i have some cuestions: I want to by the Stewart mc donald kit for pickups but i will have to magnetize them, ¿where can i by a magnet meter in the web?
    ¿where can i by some neodimium bars?

Thanks a lot

Juan Motta

You can buy neo magnet bars off ebay for just a few dollars each. Not sure about the Stew Mac kits, but if you want pre?agnetized rods, eBay seller addiction-fx sells both non and pre-magnetized alnico rods.

Comment

thanks, and where can i find a magnet meter?

Comment

Magnet Meters are called 'Gauss Meters'. They are pretty expensive. I wouldn't buy one unless you plan to make a whole load of pickups. Stewmac sell magnets to charge their pickup kits as well by the way

Comment

Yes, i´m planning to build more than one, because i`ll want to buy a gauss meter, where can i find on in the web?

Comment

Originally posted by cenizasblancas View Post
            Yes, i´m planning to build more than one, because i`ll want to buy a gauss meter, where can i find on in the web?
            You can find them on ebay.

Tesla Gaussmeter Digital Magnetic Flux meter 2000mT DC | eBay

Take Care,

Jim. . .
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

Thanks Jim sone i will buy one and a neodynium bar

Juan

Comment

If you are handy with a soldering iron, and I'd imagine you would be since you are making pickups, you can build a very nice gauss meter with this kit:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t20033/

I use one of these myself.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks, now i´m ordering in mouser the gauss metter, but i want to know if i can found there a inductance metter kit too.

Regards

Juan Motta

Comment

Thanks, now i´m ordering in mouser the gauss metter, but i want to know if i can found there a inductance metter kit too.

Regards

Juan Motta
                    You can get them pretty cheap on ebay.

LCR Inductance Capacitance Digital Multimeter Meter RCL | eBay
                    Take Care,

Jim. . .
                    VA3DEF

Comment

Thanks but i was talking with the vendor but they wan`t send to Urugauy, where can i found another?

Comment

Thanks but i was talking with the vendor but they wan`t send to Urugauy, where can i found another?
                        Sorry, I can't help much with that problem. You might want to check and see if there are other vendors on ebay that sell them that will ship that type of meter to Urugauy. There are a lot of them being sold on ebay.

inductance meter | eBay
                        Take Care,

Jim. . .
                        VA3DEF

Comment

Did you find mags yet?

Amazon.com: One Piece N42 4" x 1/2" x 1/2" Neodymium NdFeB Magnet: Home Improvement is what I have and I find them to be effective.

Comment

Now i bought in ebay the inductance/capacitance metter, but i`m serching for magnets but i don`t have clear what type i need for a full charge of alnico, because i was serching for a disc of 1/4 1/2 that i thing do this job (another posts say that) but i can`t find.

Comment

i was serching for a disc of 1/4 1/2 that i thing do this job (another posts say that) but i can`t find.
                              I'm positive he was referring to this magnets, sold at StewMac:

STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Repair Magnet Kit

They're NOT powerful enough to FULLY SATURATE an Alnico bar. They can be used to magnetize rod magnets, the ones used in fender-type single coils.

Only a hardware magnetizer can fully saturate an alnico bar, and those aren't very cheap... plus you have the extra problem to get any supplier to ship to Uruguay. Good luck with that!

HTH,
                              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                              Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                              X