Kustom Challenger - need obscure SE540L part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kustom Challenger - need obscure SE540L part

I'm working on a 70's Kustom Challenger amp and have isolated the problem to a bad SE540L. It functions as a driver for the output transistors and has been obsolete for a long time. It is packaged in a transistor can with 10 leads. I have searched the web and come up empty, so I'm hoping somebody has one or knows somebody who does. Appreciate any help or advice. Thanks.

I do believe that part falls under the heading of "Unobtainium".
    Try this supplier: Odyssey Electronics | Electronic Components Supplier [ SE54.1202UL- to SE5514F ] Page 1527 of 5655

Comment

I think you're right, Jazz. I had a few of them, but they're lost in the mists of the last three decades and several house moves.

Tele, I just downloaded the Challenger schemo. You can replace the entire SE540 plus output transistors with one $5.00 LM3886 and a few parts. The LM3886 mounts on the heat sink where the two power transistors were, and (with the few Rs and Cs it needs) replaces everything back to the input capacitor C26. You can probably find a cheap "chip amp" PCB on line. It runs from the same power supply and will probably produce as much power. It's **much** better protected internally from abuse.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Cool.
        Sounds like a fun project.

Comment

Is a site like this, Inventory Search - HoBid.com (plug in SE540L) undependable and it`s results not to be believed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fragger View Post
            Is a site like this, Inventory Search - HoBid.com (plug in SE540L) undependable and it`s results not to be believed?
            Maybe, maybe not. The semiconductor dealers have quite a racket going. Some of them are OK, some are dicey, and some exist to sell counterfeit parts. The clog the internet search machines so that only their stuff comes up on searches, they are quite difficult to buy a few parts from, and they usually demand that you submit for a quote on prices. This gives them time to go look through their suppliers to see if there really is one or more you can buy. I suspect, but have not proved, that quotes from several places all lead to the same parts bin somewhere. They are effectively semiconductor day traders, hoping to find someone desperate for a part and willing to pay enough to make it worthwhile to go procure the part in question. Hence, almost every query says that the part is in stock. If it's not really in stock, the price is quite high, to (a) discourage legitimate buyers who want a decent deal and (b) make finding the part in question worthwhile if the buyer is stup... er, motivated.
            Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I left a voicemail at Odyssey - thanks Jazz P Bass! I'll let you know if it works out.

I like R.G.'s suggestion on the LM3886 - I'm going to take your advice and investigate a PC-board retrofit.

Comment

Working...
              X