tv jones classic spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tv jones classic spec

Hi iŽm Juan Motta from Uruguay and i`ll start 2 project, build a bass pickup (gary willis pickup spec) for a bass that i want to build, and a guitar pickup for a guitar, but i have the problem that i donŽknow who can cut magnets for specific dimension and sell in small cuantities. which magnetic vendor of the list of pickup maker faq do this job?

Another cuestion: who knows some about tv jones classic pickup brigde and neck? i love the sound of this pickups and i found some info in the tvjones homepage:

Bridge

DC Resistance: 4.8k
    Inductance:2.49 H

Neck
    DC Resistance:4k
    Inductance:1.85

Size:

Bridge:3/4`` tall
    Neck:5/8``tall

How many turns, wire and magnets use?

Regards

Juan Motta

TV Jones makes spectacular pickups, you can't get near what Tom is making just by using DCR specs etc. Tom reversed engineered old Gretsch Filtertons etc. the same way I did PAF's, he really know his stuff, you would best just buy the pickups you need from him as you'll never get close, all his parts are proprietarily made to accurate vintage alloys and specs. You won't be sorry you bought them, guaranteed. :-)
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

GretschPICKUPSinfo.xls

Can't vouch for veracity of info - gleaned this online years ago and never tried any myself. You still need dimensions and materials for parts - or a kit if anyone makes one...

Comment

haaaa, i will study this!!!!! iŽm not looking for the exact sound of this pickups becase i`ll want to experimet but if is posible to do something near to this pickup, better.

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Unfortunately no parts reseller stocks anything remotely like a Filterton design, the tone comes the design of small bobbins etc. its mainly the design that is responsible for those tones. I don't quite understand why these parts aren't available, I love the tones of TV Jones' work and would love to do a research project on real vintage Gretsch stuff but without correctly designed parts its a waste of time. I trade pickups for a Gretsch with those big fake humbuckers and they are pretty bad, Greg has one and put TVJ's in it with adapters to make them fit, they are truly amazingly great sounding pickups, machine wound the way they should be...
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            Unfortunately no parts reseller stocks anything remotely like a Filterton design, the tone comes the design of small bobbins etc. its mainly the design that is responsible for those tones. I don't quite understand why these parts aren't available, I love the tones of TV Jones' work and would love to do a research project on real vintage Gretsch stuff but without correctly designed parts its a waste of time. I trade pickups for a Gretsch with those big fake humbuckers and they are pretty bad, Greg has one and put TVJ's in it with adapters to make them fit, they are truly amazingly great sounding pickups, machine wound the way they should be...
            Yah those full size Gretsch mudbuckers suck the big one, which is why I went with TV's stuff to replace them. Then I sold the guitar and put the stock pickups back in it and kept my TVJ's for a future Gretsch. Tom Jones is a great guy and makes some fantastic pickups. I'll be getting more from him in the future for sure when I get the money.

Have fun experimenting on the Gretsch design, but as Possum said, you will not get close without the correct parts, and since the correct parts are not available, you will have to make your own.

Greg

Comment

Thanks for the advises, anyone have the patent for this pickups?

Comment

No experience tracking down patents, but I know Ray Butts was the inventor and they came out at the exact same time as Gibson's Seth Lover design - 1957 I think?

BTW there will be some people on this board who have all relevant measurements; maybe someone can at least post coil dimensions and still retain most of their secret, magical, intellectual property. Otherwise maybe email TV Jones directly (he's in no danger of having someone outdo him with that little info) or try the Gretsch forum at Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum

Comment

I have found the patent!!!

DivShare File - US2892371.pdf

Comment

i have found a guy that was working on a filtertron pickup and have some info

Searcy String Works: Gretch FilterTron

Comment

Looks like you're on your way. Makes me want to try one. I have some fake-o ones from GFS that sound exactly 0% like real 'trons. Maybe I will try to make my own inside their cover. Thanks for posting links!

Comment

I looked at the patent, and it pretty much looks like a small humbucker.
                        What is right above the magnet between the coils.
                        I didn't read the whole patent.
                        Terry
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Kindly Killer, comparing the article of Searcy String Works and the info you post, there are a lot of resemblance, the ceramic ferite magnet, ohms, maybe this info is real.In the gfs pickups that you have the bobbins are similar as the filtertrons? maybe i can use this lengh of bobbins to build one.

Comment

The real vintage Filtertrons (and TV Jones versions) use alnico magnets.

Greg

Comment

I doubt the GFS ones have anything resembling the correct coil shape, because they sound nothing like real 'trons. I was just thinking it would be convenient for me because they have some parts and the convenient mount, and I already wasted my money on them. I'll probably see whether I can get anything for them on eBay. If not I'll hack one up and let you know what I find.

Comment

Working...
                              X