Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• echoplex rail - background noise - mods

Hello !

I bought last year a second echoplex, that came modded ( by mike battle ? ) with 5 head amp boards, and 6 heads in line, fixed, without the record head rail. Now I’m looking for this rail and for the record/erase head chassis combo ( I’ve got the head but not this sliding part on the rail ) .

if by chance someone may have a damaged echoplex for spare parts, I’d love to discuss this with you.

I’m restoring it to the standard specs as this attempt to mod the ep3 isn’t very good, and the tape can’t touch enough the surfaces of the heads…

Also, on my other echoplex, as I still have some troubles with the noise ( after changing all the electrolytic caps, checking everything, every ground, cleaning everything, etc … ) I’m thinking of disconnecting the motor circuit, and the head amp board, to try to discover the source of background noise, like a vacuum that comes amplified when the volume is on ten : very loud, I suppose that it’s not normal, though when it’s on 3, the volume of the echo is ok and not noisy, equal in volume to the dry signal. very playable. Is it a good idea ? I could perhaps see if it comes from the heads amp board ?

I’m also thinking of removing the actual transformer , 24v I think, for a simple adapter 24v . then I won’t need a 230/110v transformer , to go in this transfoermer. Do you have any infos on this transformer ? how much amps perhaps ? then I’ll maybe won’t need the AC power filtering caps section if some dc comes directly where it should, right ?

I’ll also add some switchs to A/B the two versions of the ep3 preamp, that could be cool ; )

I also invented by accident a very cool mod , I’ll show you if you like : it allows three positions : Echo / Echo plus sos playing echoes played / sos.

I’d also like to make something special to have a tape flanger … I think that there’s something to invent there.
    Attached Files
Working...
X