Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ebay and Stupid amp pricing these days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay and Stupid amp pricing these days...

Not sure if any of you look at Ebay and the going prices of Fender and Marshall amps but its seems they are going hi in price the same way gold has gone up.

I have been looking for either a Fender tremolux 2x10 combo or a Pro-reverb combo and the prices are thru the roof, mostly over a grand starting if you want one in decent shape that does not need to be rebuilt or good speakers.

I have been looking at Craigslist but you have to be fast to get a good deal there. Mostly junk amp stuff on Craigslist.

I have been thinking about at least a good combo to jam on but nothing worth while on Ebay under a grand. Maybe a Bugera V22 but I haven’t even tried one of those so I have no idea what they sound like but they do look nice. I want a good clean tube amp sound so I can run my pedals on.

Just a rant...LOL....

Consider an old Traynor amp. Sturdy and well built, basic. Lots of room inside for modificating if you like.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That's why I build em. Much cheaper that way.
      In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Looking for a classic Fender at a reasonable price to "jam" on is sort of like looking for a 1950's BSA motorcycle to run to the store. Those Fenders are collectible and therefor acutely NOT reasonable priced. The Traynor suggestion is a good one. So is the idea of building your own. The best value in new combo amps probably falls to the Peavey "Classic" line and the Fender HotRod line. I expect they'd be pretty affordable used as well.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks for the good advice fellas,

I was lucky enough to find a 1967 Fender Bandmaster head on EBay last night for $450.00 shipped. It’s going to need a lot of work but I might build a 1x12 or 2x10 cab for it and use it that way to get a more better low end. No reverb but I can get a pedal to do that. It’s a sliver face with drip-edge in decent shape. I'll probably put in a bigger OT just to beef up the output a bit. I might need to upgrade the PT as well. Not sure if the stock PT can handle pushing 40 to 50 watts if I upgrade to a Bassman OT.

This will be as close to vintage as I need, love that old fender tone. I have a 1968 Bandmaster reverb I keep at home that I run thru a 2x12 cab with Celestion 70’s and it’s a great sounding rig. I don't want to take that one out of my house...

Cheers

Comment

OOOooh... Well, now, if you pay $450 for an amp, need to build a cabinet to put your own speakers in and replace the OT and PT, Most likely it will need other things too like filters and tubes, What are you paying for??? A chassis, tube sockets, knobs, pots and switches??? IMHE $450 buys A LOT more.

If there's nothing wrong with the iron in that amp you should be able to make it sing with minimal effort. Otherwise it's not worth it. Replace any electrolyics that still haven't been replaced, replace any suspect tubes. Check component values for drift, clean all contacts and stick it in the cabinet you build.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I was lucky enough to find a 1967 Fender Bandmaster head on EBay last night for $450.00 shipped. It’s going to need a lot of work but I might build a 1x12 or 2x10 cab for it and use it that way to get a more better low end. No reverb but I can get a pedal to do that. It’s a sliver face with drip-edge in decent shape. I'll probably put in a bigger OT just to beef up the output a bit. I might need to upgrade the PT as well. Not sure if the stock PT can handle pushing 40 to 50 watts if I upgrade to a Bassman OT.

This will be as close to vintage as I need, love that old fender tone. I have a 1968 Bandmaster reverb I keep at home that I run thru a 2x12 cab with Celestion 70’s and it’s a great sounding rig. I don't want to take that one out of my house...
              I was going to suggest a vintage Bandmaster as these don't seem to have caught on yet in collectable value and are still reasonably priced. I don't expect that to last for long though.

My brother bought a 66 blackface Bandmaster off ebay a couple of years ago for $400. It was in all original condition and very clean and supposedly had sat in a closet unused for the last 30 years. I replaced the original 2 wire power cord with a properly grounded 3 prong cord, replaced screen resistors (which was blown), replaced damaged power tube grid resistors, put in new power tubes, and a new pilot light and the amp was good to go and has been great ever since - in regular use for two years. I actually did not replace the filter caps. According to everything you read on the net they should have been shot but this doesn't seem to have been the case in this instance. The amp sounds and performs great although this may be a rare exception to the rule. Anyway, if the one you're looking at needs a lot of work, is in bad shape, or has been butchered by mods you might want to wait around for a better deal to appear.

I measured this amp to put out 45W power before clipping on my scope if I remember correctly. Also no issue with lacking bottom end with the stock transformers.

Also, I thought 67 was still blackface era although I could be mistaken.

Comment

The amp of choice around these parts is the Fender HotRod Deville.
                I have seen them new for about $650-700.
                They go used if you can find one for about $450.
                They have a great clean tone with a Strat.
                B_T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

The amp of choice around these parts is the Fender HotRod Deville.
                  I have seen them new for about $650-700.
                  They go used if you can find one for about $450.
                  They have a great clean tone with a Strat.
                  They're an evolution of the Fender Blues Devilles/Deluxes with higher gain channel. The clean channels are the same I believe. Both my brother and I have Blues Deluxes from the mid 90's. They do have a nice clean sound but the 66 Bandmaster is definitely superior. Also the Bandmaster is much more ruggedly constructed / wired and is more reliable for that reason. The Blues Deluxes have had a lot of problems with bad connections / solder joints etc and I would not recommend them for performing for this reason. I think this is also the case for most modern pcb combo amps. I use my own handbuilt, handwired amps now so don't have these reliability problems anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X