Question about magnets and pickups for buying mangets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about magnets and pickups for buying mangets

Hi, i have been writing with big_teee about some cuestions that i have because i going to buy magnets but i want for buying enough in order to learn winding single coils and humbuckers, here they are:

1)Are possible knowledge whichever turns I need to only wind knowing the k dcr ohm? because i was reading in the forum about when you talk about some pickup you said " 6.5 k dcr ohm, awg42 " for example and you don´t said the Turn needed for this type of wire instead .

2)In sigle coils why is so important the height of the rod?

Regards

Juan Motta

Basically:
    I wrote bigteee questions about buying magnets for single coil and humbucker magnets which I intend to learn winding.
    1) How do I know how many turns I need to wind to achieve a specific DCR? So far I´ve read you post, say, "6.5K DCR , awg42" .... you didn´t spec how many turns of wire are needed for this specific wire
    2) why is the rod length so important in single coils?

Regards

Juan Motta
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
      Basically:
      I wrote bigteee questions about buying magnets for single coil and humbucker magnets which I intend to learn winding.
      1) How do I know how many turns I need to wind to achieve a specific DCR? So far I´ve read you post, say, "6.5K DCR , awg42" .... you didn´t spec how many turns of wire are needed for this specific wire
      2) why is the rod length so important in single coils?

Regards

Juan Motta
      Magnets can all be one length, or you can use staggered length.
      The Staggered length magnets is the Fender Vintage way.
      The magnets were staggered back with the 7 inch Radius necks, and using 4 Wound Strings(Wound G String) and 2 Unwound strings.
      Now most Strats have 9-13 inch radius necks, and 3 wound and 3 unwound strings, and Unstaggered Strat Pickups work fine.
      I suggest starting very basic, and just get started.
      Whatever you order now, you will want different parts later.
      Just get going on the basics and go from there.
      Good Luck,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Magnets can all be one length, or you can use staggered length.
        The Staggered length magnets is the Fender Vintage way.
        The magnets were staggered back with the 7 inch Radius necks, and using 4 Wound Strings(Wound G String) and 2 Unwound strings.
        Now most Strats have 9-13 inch radius necks, and 3 wound and 3 unwound strings, and Unstaggered Strat Pickups work fine.
        I suggest starting very basic, and just get started.
        Whatever you order now, you will want different parts later.
        Just get going on the basics and go from there.
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        Los imanes pueden ser todos del mismo largo, o podés usar largos escalonados.
        Largos escalonados es el estilo Fender Vintage (entiendo lo hacía para equilibrar el volumen de las cuerdas)
        Hoy la mayoría de las Strat tiene mangos con radio (de curvatura) de 9 a 13 pulgadas, 3 cuerdas entorchadas (wound) y 3 lisas (plain), y micrófonos no-escalonados funcionan bien.
        Te sugiero comenzar ya con lo práctico, y comenzar simple.
        No importa lo que compres ahora, pronto vas a querer otras cosas.
        Comenzá con lo básico, y avanzá a partir de ahí.
        Suerte.
        Terry. (bigteee)
        En un PM me sugirió que empieces con Mics bobina simple de Strat, que con eso , desarrollando y experimentando, tenés para un año al menos.
        Me dijo que no arranques con micrófonos complicados que hasta a ellos, con experiencia, medios y máquinas, les cuesta.
        Coincido que un buen Mic de Strat es del carajo.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks for your help!!! i`m going to do that!!

Gracias por su ayuda!!! voy a hacer eso!!

pd- JM Fahey, te deje un mail en tu casilla hace unos días, Abrazo

Comment

I have recived a list of magnets from, Magnets hold and i have found that the diameter of the rods are 197" instead of 195", are this ok?
            Because i saw in stewmac.com that the diameters of the rods for single coil are 195"

Juan Motta

He recibido la lista de imanes de Magnets Hold y encontré que el diámetro que los imanes es de 197" en vez de 195", esto esta bien?
            Porque vi que en stewmac.com los diámetros para micros simples son de 195"

Juan Motta

pd i will wait for jhfahey to trastale.

Comment

I think this one was clear enough.
              Please Pickup Guys answer this one (not my area), but as an advance let me say that Alnico magnets are made by casting, too hard an alloy to machine, makers don´t guarantee precision in diameter, only length because only possible operation is grinding.
              As of .195 vs .197, we are talking 1% error here, don´t find it significant.
              Anyway, please somebody who makes pickups correct this info.
              Thanks.

Creo que el Inglés de ésta fue claro.
              Por favor Bobinadores respondan ésta (no es mi área) pero como un avance: los imanes de Alnico son fundidos en un molde (demasiado duros como para poder maquinarlos) y lo único que se garantiza es el largo, se los ajusta comiéndolos con una piedra diamantada.
              .195 y .197 (no te olvides de punto adelante, son fracciones de pulgada) son lo mismo, es 1% de diferencia.
              Igual esperá a ver lo que dicen los Maestros.
              Suerte.

PD: vas a hacer unos Mics simples del carajo. Abrazo.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by cenizasblancas View Post
                I have recived a list of magnets from, Magnets hold and i have found that the diameter of the rods are 197" instead of 195", are this ok?
                Because i saw in stewmac.com that the diameters of the rods for single coil are 195"

Juan Motta

He recibido la lista de imanes de Magnets Hold y encontré que el diámetro que los imanes es de 197" en vez de 195", esto esta bien?
                Porque vi que en stewmac.com los diámetros para micros simples son de 195"

Juan Motta

pd i will wait for jhfahey to trastale.
                Yes that will be fine.
                .002 will make no difference.
                Use Flatwork for .195.
                The Flatwork is under sized and the magnets will fit fine.
                Terry
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Dear bigteeee, what *is* Flatwork?
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Click on attachment, and it show's what is what.
                    The Flatwork is the 2 Fiber Pieces.
                    B_T
                    Terry

Comment

Cenizasblancas , las medidas están bien, .002 de pulgada no es diferencia, comprales todo el kit completo así sabés que todo coincide, el "Flatwork" son las piezas de fibra negra donde van pinchados los imanes de Alnico, los agujeros son levemente más chicos para que entren a presión.
                      Suerte.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks, Fahey and Terry!! i have 2 cuestions:

1)Where is the best place for buy magnets, Magnets Hold of Addicion fx?

2)Also i´m going to buy magnetic bars for building humbuckers, what diferences in sound are between alico 2 and alnico 5 magnets ?

Gracias, Fahey y Terry!! tengo ademas 2 preguntas:

1)¿Cual es el mejor lugar para comprar imanes, Magnets Hold o Addicion fx?

2)Tambien voy a comprar imanes para hacer micros doble bobina, ¿que diferencia en sonido hay entre imanes alnico 2 y 5?

pd- Vamo a ver que sale gracias!!!

Comment

If it were me, and I'm just getting started winding, I would just order some kits, either from SteMac, or Mojo.
                          Get some Strat Kits, Tele Kits, and or, Humbucker Kits.
                          Then after making those you will answer most of your own questions on how to make them.
                          Then You will know what parts you like and what you want to order.
                          Most of Us started with Pickup Kits.
                          Same If you are going to build a Guitar Amplifier.
                          Start with a Amp Kit, it cuts down on all the tedious Parts gathering.
                          Same with the Pickup Kits. All the Parts are gathered and sorted for you.
                          STEWMAC.COM : Pickups: Kits
                          Pickup Kits
                          Good Luck,
                          Terry
                          Terry

Comment

Si fuera yo y recién comenzara, usaría Kits de StewMac o Mojo.
                            Pedite algunos de Strat, Tele y Humbuckers, para cubrir todo.
                            *Después* de armar algunos, *vos mismo* vas a poder contestar las dudas , mejor que preguntar *todo* acá.
                            Después vas a saber qué te gusta, qué no, pedir más de lo mismo o experimentar otras cosas. Pero empezá por el principio.
                            La mayoría de nosotros comenzó con Kits .... lo mismo con los que arman Amplificadores, un Kit te evita mucha búsqueda tediosa (más estando a 8000Km).

STEWMAC.COM : Pickups: Kits
                            Pickup Kits
                            Good Luck,
                            Terry
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                            X