Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

secrect old spec custom made AWC wire. Still sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Possum View Post
    What do you mean by vintage spec anyway.
    You know.. the old "I have my wire custom made to vintage specs, just like they used to" crap I've seen spewed.

Why charge more? It was cheaper than MWS by a buyck or two per pound.

Comment

Yeah whoever that was claiming they had vintage spec wire made is full of you know what. Was it PRS? You could get a bit closer to actual vintage if you did what I did with Elektrisola, but you'd be taking a huge risk in getting wire you wouldn't like much. I think they said I'd have to make 100 lbs. of it as a minimum order, maybe if I sold both kidneys and a lung I could afford it. AWC wire is amazingly all over the place. I have some from 2001 that the insulation is literally flaking off the wire in spots. Of the modern wire samples Elektrisola examined for me AWC wire was the furthest away from being vintage in almost every way. I still have probably 8 rolls of the stuff, most of it is way over spec diameters, very limited useability.
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
        Yeah whoever that was claiming they had vintage spec wire made is full of you know what. Was it PRS? You could get a bit closer to actual vintage if you did what I did with Elektrisola, but you'd be taking a huge risk in getting wire you wouldn't like much. I think they said I'd have to make 100 lbs. of it as a minimum order, maybe if I sold both kidneys and a lung I could afford it. AWC wire is amazingly all over the place. I have some from 2001 that the insulation is literally flaking off the wire in spots. Of the modern wire samples Elektrisola examined for me AWC wire was the furthest away from being vintage in almost every way. I still have probably 8 rolls of the stuff, most of it is way over spec diameters, very limited useability.
        I'm sure you could sell that wire on here, if It was listed at a Reasonable price.
        What do you want for a roll of it, and how large are the rolls?
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Dont fool yourself, I have had all of my coil wire custom made to spec for the last 6 years or so and even with electrosola- its not a very consistant product for whatever reason from whoever you get it from. Even the dies they use wear really fast, there are so many ways it can vary from spooling tension to drawing the wire to applying the insulation etc. I can say having kept really close track over the last 15 years that the wire diameter has gone to the small side of the allowance and they have a hard time making it like they did even 10 years ago. Drives me nuts

Comment

Yeah the Elektrisola stuff once they bought out REA is really thin stuff. They claim they are right on target, makes me wonder if their laser measuring tools are out of whack. At least what I've been buying has been very consistent, where REA's stuff varied way too much and caused some big problems for me. The AWC stuff I have I will keep, you probably wouldn't want it anyway, some of it like .0033" diameter, really really fat and makes huge coils with few winds.
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
            X