installing a headphone amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a headphone amp

Hello from pman58! I'm a newbie to this forum, and I need some intel. I just purchased a Fender Vibro Champ XD. Great Little amp, best tube amp I've ever owned. However, it has no headphone input. I need to find out what I might connect to it to enable me to play it through my stereo headphones (can't wake the neighbors, don'cha know).

Any ideas on how to make this happen? Your assistance is much appreciated!

pman58

The biggest obstacle is the fact that the output transformer will not have a speaker connected.
    Not something you want to do to a tube amp.
    Now, you could hook up a 10 watt 8 ohm dummy load and current limit the signal, so as not to fry your headphones.
    Is it doable?
    Probably.
    Will it be easy to do.
    Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      The biggest obstacle is the fact that the output transformer will not have a speaker connected.
      Not something you want to do to a tube amp.
      Now, you could hook up a 10 watt 8 ohm dummy load and current limit the signal, so as not to fry your headphones.
      Is it doable?
      Probably.
      Will it be easy to do.
      Probably not.
      Thanks for the info Jazz. I checked out another suggestion from 2006 on a different thread, where someone suggested using a Line 6 Pod--which I just happen to own, and had completely forgotten that I had it!! I hooked it up--problem solved!!

Comment

How did you hook your POD up o the Champ so that you could run your Champ into headphones??? If all you wanted was to run headphones the POD is a no brainer. If you want to run your Champ into headphones you need to do something like this:
        Attached Files
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          How did you hook your POD up o the Champ so that you could run your Champ into headphones??? If all you wanted was to run headphones the POD is a no brainer. If you want to run your Champ into headphones you need to do something like this:
          Thanks for the reply, Chuck H! I guess I should have clarified my comment. I attached a cable from the output of my Pod to my Champ amp, but decided instead to listen through my headphone, and turned down the output volume to the amp. The 'phones came through loud and clear!

pman58

Comment

Originally posted by pman58 View Post
            Thanks for the reply, Chuck H! I guess I should have clarified my comment. I attached a cable from the output of my Pod to my Champ amp, but decided instead to listen through my headphone, and turned down the output volume to the amp. The 'phones came through loud and clear!

pman58
            Pardon my ignorance but the clarification made it even more confusing for me. Wait, you just wanted a guitar to headphone amp, nothing related to the Champ then?
            Valvulados

Comment

Jmaf, yes, I originally wanted to listen to the amp itself through the 'phones, but I changed my mind and went with the Pod. It finally dawned on me that I wouldn't get the same tone as I would with the Champ since I wouldn't be hearing the Champ's speaker anyway.
              Besides, I can get all sorts of great tones with the Pod!

Hope this clarifies my clarification?

Pman

Comment

Originally posted by pman58 View Post
                Jmaf, yes, I originally wanted to listen to the amp itself through the 'phones, but I changed my mind and went with the Pod. It finally dawned on me that I wouldn't get the same tone as I would with the Champ since I wouldn't be hearing the Champ's speaker anyway.
                Besides, I can get all sorts of great tones with the Pod!

Hope this clarifies my clarification?

Pman
                Gotya.
                Valvulados

Comment

Working...
                X