Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your single biggest pickup related purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your single biggest pickup related purchase?

I'm curious...

What is your single biggest 'pickup related' purchase? In other words... what did you buy for your factory that made your wife/friend/SO totally freak out when the bill for it finally showed up?

For extra credit... what excuse did you give them for it and what did you have to do/give them to 'settle up'?

ken
    www.angeltone.com

Are You Bragging or Complaining.
    Does A small Piddle Shop Constitute a Factory?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Both... actually.

I was just wondering if anyone besides me was 'sleeping on da couch' lately because of our favorite obsession.

ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        Both... actually.

I was just wondering if anyone besides me was 'sleeping on da couch' lately because of our favorite obsession.

ken
        It happens to all of us now and then.
        I use to smuggle a new rifle, or Fishing Rod, in the house, and try to it get mixed in with all the others so she wouldn't notice.
        She would say isn't that one new, I would tell her, Oh I've had that one Forever!
        New Purchases are smaller now that I'm Retired.
        Good Luck with sleeping in the Dawg House!
        B_T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

My wife is a joy on that count. Usually its just "what do you need THAT for?" I tell her and we're done; our businesses and bank accounts are completely seperate so its not an issue anyway. My two biggest purchases, well 3 actually, were a lathe, a magnet charger, and a bitchin' little machined table saw that cuts perfect humbucker wood shims to precision sizes. I think the mini-table saw ended up costing about $675 and I only got to use it just fairly recently, but it is a total JOY to use, made one at a time by a machinist who builds stuff for model makers, I can dig up his name if anyone is interested. Works great for cutting plastic parts too....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I'm not married, so the only one cringing at my spending is me. I'm sure plenty of people would call me insane if they knew what I've spent over the past three years on this, though.

My biggest purchase has been contracting some CNC cutting of some 11 different parts. That hurt. I've had a lot of parts/materials/etc orders that have been right around the $100 mark that collectively probably beat everything else out - trying different steels, adhesives, magnets, wires, etc... I've developed quite a collection of stuff I won't use! Such is life. I had one really big wire order from MWS that wouldn't be a lot of money in the long haul, but it was a bulk order (12 lbs or so), and that was last year's tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              ... and a bitchin' little machined table saw that cuts perfect humbucker wood shims to precision sizes. I think the mini-table saw ended up costing about $675 and I only got to use it just fairly recently, but it is a total JOY to use, made one at a time by a machinist who builds stuff for model makers, I can dig up his name if anyone is interested. Works great for cutting plastic parts too....
              Not in stores! I'd love to see a few pictures.

Comment

I guess the most expensive thing was the *&%$#! Schatten winder I got when I first started. I also have a bench top drill press, an abrasive wheel cut off saw, a 6 x 48 belt sander, and a model makers table saw. And my Aoyue solder station.

My wife doesn't mind me buying any of this stuff because I'm making money with it, and it doesn't come out of household money.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I bought a Gibson Customshop Joe Bonamassa Goldtop Les Paul for Pickuptesting.
                  ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by PAF-Boy View Post
                    I bought a Gibson Customshop Joe Bonamassa Goldtop Les Paul for Pickuptesting.
                    ;-)
                    I don't blame you, He's one of my Favorites!
                    Good Luck with that,
                    B_T
                    Terry

Comment

It would be as a whole, my four demo guitars. A Mexican strat, partscaster tele, Epi Les Paul, and an Epi Dot. none of which are very valuable, but are great for test, and demonstration purposes. I'll sometimes leave one or two them at stores with a couple sets for sale on consignment. My LCR meter was a couple hundred bucks, and I have about a hundred into my elepro Gauss meter. Everything else is pretty insignificant in cost. I'd love to have a nice mag/de-mag, but I can't justify the price.

Comment

I bought a Monarch lathe and tooling last year myself, and it was a deal I simply could not refuse. I ended up selling some guitars to pay for it.

However, that's not what I'm talking about right now.

I've been going to estate sales, auctions, etc. for a long time, looking for any tools I can use for making pickups, and guitars too.

Wife just finished telling me Friday night she wants to remodel the house. She wants a new bathroom and a new kitchen, among lots of other things. Come to think of it, I would like a nice new garage with heat and 460 or 240v power myself... (dreaming...)

Anyways, Saturday AM I hit the motherlode - a 'living estate sale'. An eightysomething who was woodworking since WWII was finally moving into assisted living and wanted to sell out. I went to the sale, took one look, and went home for the van. Wife found me in the van pulling out of the driveway and went ballistic. I ended up taking her along.

The garage and basement was full of power tools and some very nice wood too.
                        I ended up telling her that the stuff we bought would be used for the remodel so we wouldn't have to pay contractors, but I still ended up on the couch again.

ken
                        Last edited by ken; 11-14-2011, 04:57 PM.
                        www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                          I bought a Monarch lathe and tooling last year myself, and it was a deal I simply could not refuse. I ended up selling some guitars to pay for it.

However, that's not what I'm talking about right now.

I've been going to estate sales, auctions, etc. for a long time, looking for any tools I can use for making pickups, and guitars too.

Wife just finished telling me Friday night she wants to remodel the house. She wants a new bathroom and a new kitchen, among lots of other things. Come to think of it, I would like a nice new garage with heat and 460 or 240v power myself... (dreaming...)

Anyways, Saturday AM I hit the motherlode - a 'living estate sale'. An eightysomething who was woodworking since WWII was finally moving into assisted living and wanted to sell out. I went to the sale, took one look, and went home for the van. Wife found me in the van pulling out of the driveway and went ballistic. I ended up taking her along.

The garage and basement was full of power tools and some very nice wood too.
                          I ended up telling her that the stuff we bought would be used for the remodel so we wouldn't have to pay contractors, but I still ended up on the couch again.

ken
                          I knew there had to be more to the Story!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

I used that excuse to buy tools too "We need these tools to renovate our home "
                            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

The SO knows nothing about business purchases.

Comment

Working...
                              X