No announcement yet.

Les Paul neck pickup question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a few Gibson replacement HB in the 70s and I don't feel there is any difference. I just think the modern pups are just better. My 75 LP is very dark in sound, I replace the neck with Dimarzio DP151 PAF PRO and the LP come to live. I yet to find a bridge pup for it as my favorite Tone Zone is too dark for LP. I tried SD Custom Custom and don't like it at all. No, Gibson don't make good pup in my book. Pickup has come a long way. I for one never think the vintage guitar is any better, I did own an early 60s true vintage strat at one time and I don't like it. I think the new MIA strat sound better. One day I am going to sell my LP and fetch in some good money.

Comment

Had a firebrand -83 in for repair a few weeks ago. Thepickups werer T-tops on that (might have been changed over time...). The sound wasn't something that got me jumping around. However this particular guy (if he's no troll) like that particular sound and whant to get his guitar back in the same shape (sound) as before. So minimustangs: check the top of the bobbins of the pickup. Are those marked with a "T"? If so you have a good lead on what type of pickup that is. And if the original pickups are superiour to any aftermarket, including those from Gibson, you have to go searching on e-bay.

Comment

Mine has the "T" on every coil. So what is so special about it?

Comment

T-tops are pickups from a specific time frame, made by Gibson as their standard pickups and to some regarded as really good, and to some regarded as...well just not very good. If you have "T" imprinted on the tops of your pickup that came out of your guitar and still has it laying arounf I suggest you sell it to minimustang...

Comment

Working...
          X