Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss OS-2 problem - please help!

Please check this out:

The problem, as the video demonstrates, is that the sound rather randomly cuts out completely and sometimes drops in volume. Giving it anything from a slight tap to a few moderate bangs fixes the problem... but it also causes the problem; i.e. the pedal's working fine, has a light nudge and cuts out. There are other times when banging and shaking the pedal causes no problems whatsoever.

I've had the Boss OS-2 for approx. 17-18 years and as far back as I can recall I've had this problem, which is why I've only recently picked it up again.

I recently opened it up and took everything out of the pedal casing to check the input and output jacks, and I couldn't SEE any problem (e.g. bad soldering, loose wires or rust).

However, while in this state I connected the pedal to a 9v battery to test the unit and there was no sound except for a loud hum. I suspected this may be due to it being out of its metal casing - although I have no idea why/how this would affect anything - so I put it back inside the casing and it's back to its usual self; i.e. sometimes a bump causes the sound to cut out and it needs another bump or three to return to normal.

Anyway... What I want to know is if anyone knows: 1) what's causing the problem; and 2) how I can fix it.

I'm relatively inexperienced with electronics (e.g. I've diagnosed and fixed a laptop screen problem by replacing the backlight, so I can follow basic instructions) but I'd rather try to fix it myself before contacting an expert.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

You can look again, tap the inner parts using something pointy, you'll find a broken/breaking lead, loose jacks, cold solder, etc. It's sometimes hard to find, but that's likely a mechanical problem. If the opamp is in a socket, push it again into it, maybe it's a bit loose.

Edit: Bat potentiometers are most likely in these cases. Tap their head one at a time instead of bumping the entire pedal.
    Valvulados

Comment

Working...
    X