Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of British / USA + modern / vintage

Hi,

Have been tempted to buy an amp as i haven't got any DIY projects of the ground yet and have decided to stop mucking around with my last build , a el84SE amp.

What seems to be most important to my ears is the 'size' verses the 'warmth' of the sound that an amp creates.

I'm interested in what combinations of speakers would be good to achieve a range of sounds.Say a 10'' + 12'' greenback + eminence (or jensen), open back cab , plus the ability to go from either both , or one or other speakers only with a foot-switch.

What about foot-switchable transformers different sizes / mismatched impedances etc small old radio ones vs hammond etc (would it make too little difference)

As far as power amp , either two 6l6 / 6v6 or el84 though no need to be switchable, around 15-20 watts. Post phase inverter Master volume with power amp in straight to the phase inverter , so that i could build different preamps or use a modeler pedal etc.

Two channel preamp for fender cleans / tweed boost and one for jcm800 / hi-gain ( though not metal ) styles.

Ok should i go out buy for example a laney lc15 + vc15 , or build the equivalent sort of thing.....

as far as my experience goes building i've done a couple of champ style heads, but not built any cabs or combos, or have the proper tools etc
    i can get a laney lc15 for AU $500 , but would i be better of getting a small music man or a roland bolt ( perhaps the same amount ) .

Neither option gives a good choice of speakers / cab, which really will dictate the overall 'colour' & size of the sound.

What are your opinions about getting 'flexibility' in sound colours and textures in the one package , with out resorting to modelers and lots of different pedals / guitars?

Cheers

Walkman
Working...
X