Anyone hear of this cabinet company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hear of this cabinet company?

As many people on this forum know, I am looking for a cabinet for my Super Reverb, but need to be semi price conscious. Searching across the web I came across a guy known as "The Cab Guy." His work looks good, and for a 4x10 SR cabinet its only $200. However, in his bio section he makes sure to say he is not affiliated with Blues Pearl Amps, so I wanted to make sure he is not a crook and something happened with that amp company. I am sure he is fine, but it would be great for others input, or if anyone has heard of his stuff. Here is the link:

TheCabGuy - Custom Guitar Cabinets
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Looks like nice work.
    (cannot tell what is underneath the tolex)
    Give him a phone call.
    Feel the guy out.
    Maybe ask for references.

Comment

Yeah I thought it looks like nice stuff and especially considering its almost $100 cheaper than the competition! Do you mean as far as wood underneath? On his main page it says "All my cabs are 3/4" pine with finger jointed corners, 1/2" baffles and I only use top quality hardware." I think I will give him an email or call.

Comment

The web site has a photo gallery, they look nice. Ask him if he has any photos of cabs under construction, before coverings or even while in pieces. Ask if anyone in your area has bought from him. He's in Indiana, so potentially not far, wherever North Webster might be. Geez, you might even be able to visit.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

north webster indiana - Google Maps

Comment

This shot from the gallery is a real confidence booster (titled: Trust me)
            Attached Files
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Seriously... If he's willing to have a little fun it only means he has passion for his business. And most likely pride in his craft. The work looks good. I'll probably call him if I ever sell another amp. I'm too slow at making cabinets to make any money at it. At those prices I wouldn't hesitate to buy one instead.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The cabinets look good (and probably are), the machinery is *serious* ["envy" smilie icon], read his "Bio" and you´ll see why he wants to put distance between Blues Pearl and himself.
                I guess he´s widely known by his association (as supplier) with them, not a good record today.
                Not his fault.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yeah I think I am going to shoot him an email and see what he can offer. Looks like solid work at a great price.

Comment

Oh, halfway between SOuth Bend and Fort Wayne, not far at all. Visit him, and drop in on Sweetwater, make a day trip of it.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The dude has an M.C. Escher print on the wall behind him. That doesn't say "scammer" or "hack" to me.

Comment

I also notice the nice casing work on the door behind him. Wonder if he did that woodwork?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmafyew View Post
                          The dude has an M.C. Escher print on the wall behind him. That doesn't say "scammer" or "hack" to me.
                          Scammers don't pose grabbing invisible woman's boobs like that. Definitely not a hack.
                          Valvulados

Comment

I was going to go with this guy but I got a little extra money for my birthday, so I ordered a JD Newell cabinet. Should be here this week!

Comment

Good rep. I'm a little sorry we won't get a first hand review on TCG though.

Comment

Working...
                              X