Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavy vypyr 15

Hi
    Is it possible to wire a distortion pedal into a peavey vypyr 15?
    When you read the peavey website it reads as though the vypyr amps will take a pedal, however not the 15 as we found out when it arrived.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wire a distortion pedal into".?. How do you want to use the pedal, in line with a cable into the amps input, installed into the amp chassis, in the amplifiers effects loop? What problem did you have using a pedal with the amp?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hi Chuck
      The amp is my daughters so forgive me if I get the terminology wrong.
      She wants to be able to hit the foot pedal during songs to switch the distortion on ( not sure if in Usa its not called post gain?)
      The peavey Vypyr has not means of connecting a foot pedal unlike the Vypre 30 and bigger.

Comment

Ah. Gotcha.

I'll guess that the distortion is switchable on the amp. You would need to replace that switch with a remote switch. On a modern PCB amp "I" probably wouldn't do it. But there are guys here that have done it on other similar amps.

If you can get the schematic for a Vypyr30 and compare it to a schem for the Vypyr15 you could see if it's an easy retrofit. Worth checking out.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Actually, Peavey does have pedals available for the Vypyr Series of amplifiers (including the 15)
          Peavey :: Sanpera™ I
          Peavey :: Sanpera™ II
          http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...03587000_4.pdf
          http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...03587010_4.pdf
          They are a bit pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            Actually, Peavey does have pedals available for the Vypyr Series of amplifiers (including the 15)
            Peavey :: Sanpera™ I
            Peavey :: Sanpera™ II
            http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...03587000_4.pdf
            http://www.peavey.com/assets/literat...03587010_4.pdf
            They are a bit pricey.
            Not for the 15
            There is no socket for 1
            And when you read the instructions it clearly states not available for vypyr 15

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Ah. Gotcha.

I'll guess that the distortion is switchable on the amp. You would need to replace that switch with a remote switch. On a modern PCB amp "I" probably wouldn't do it. But there are guys here that have done it on other similar amps.

If you can get the schematic for a Vypyr30 and compare it to a schem for the Vypyr15 you could see if it's an easy retrofit. Worth checking out.
              The switch on the Vypyr 15 is a fancy multifunction job.
              It control a whole host of functions.
              It is actually a rotary switch with @ 10 different positions, and you switch to distortion by pressing the control knob.
              Would probably be possible to rig a small actuator to physically press the switch when needed.

Comment

I *guess* than rather than physically pressing anything, or remotely dealing with the rotary switch in any way, the distortion (plus anything else) can be assigned to a certain preset and *that* preset switched on/off.
                On the left side of the panel I see 3 "bank" buttons and 4 "preset" ones.
                *Maybe*, if said are normal tact switches, you can connect one of them (2 wires) to a stamp sized add on board using an analog switch (1/4 of a 4066 , this shows how old I am ... maybe even a FET) , controlled by a honest-to-God jack and regular footswitch.

Really I´m suggesting it only as an exercise of the mind, such surgery might cause more trouble than it´s worth, although once I did the same to remotely activate a VCR.

A lot of "guess" and "maybe" and "if" involved here.

And I guess the Peavey idea was to have a very competitive ($$$) 15, but have you wish the 30 soon.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by dropswell View Post
                  Not for the 15
                  There is no socket for 1
                  And when you read the instructions it clearly states not available for vypyr 15
                  "Sorry about that , chief"
                  That truly s*cks.

Comment

That is the most basic model, and doesn't have a lot of features the more expensive models do. They kept features to a minimum to keep price down.

A shop like mine could take any control on the panel and make it remotable from a footswitch, but by the time you'd pay me to modify the amp in that fashion and create the footswitch for it, you might as well jusy invest in the higher up model that does what you want in the first place. Sorry.

Having said all that, nothing stops you from setting the amp up for a relatively clean tone, and having an overdrive pedal out front of the amp, just as you might with a plain old amp. Stomp on the pedal for your soaring solos.

Keep in mind that the Vypyr is basically a computer with a speaker. We can tap into the controls on the panel, but the "circuitry" for the distortions and tones inside it are all bits in the program. They are not places on a circuit board we can solder wires to.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      I *guess* than rather than physically pressing anything, or remotely dealing with the rotary switch in any way, the distortion (plus anything else) can be assigned to a certain preset and *that* preset switched on/off.
                      On the left side of the panel I see 3 "bank" buttons and 4 "preset" ones.
                      *Maybe*, if said are normal tact switches, you can connect one of them (2 wires) to a stamp sized add on board using an analog switch (1/4 of a 4066 , this shows how old I am ... maybe even a FET) , controlled by a honest-to-God jack and regular footswitch.

Really I´m suggesting it only as an exercise of the mind, such surgery might cause more trouble than it´s worth, although once I did the same to remotely activate a VCR.

A lot of "guess" and "maybe" and "if" involved here.

And I guess the Peavey idea was to have a very competitive ($$$) 15, but have you wish the 30 soon.
                      Done some investigation, and tapping into one of the programmable tactile preset buttons works a treat.
                      Also means that the sound that is switched via foot pedal can be tweaked

Cheers

Comment

That's why I mentioned comparing schematics for the foot-switchable version of the Vypyr and your model. Since they're basically the same amp, the foot switch (and it's plug) were probably omitted in the less expensive model.

Comment

Working...
                        X