Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PA Speaker Cabinet wiring, correct polarity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA Speaker Cabinet wiring, correct polarity?

Hi, I have a yorkville ys-115 loudspeaker and want to be sure if polarity of horn is correct. In the attached image, I'm unclear why the positive side of the horn is connected to the negative side of the circuit board. When i put to continuity test from the input jack: i have continuity between neg of jack and where it's labelled horn (+) and woofer (-); and pos of jack to the woofer (+) and I don't get continuity on jack to connection labelled horn (-). I also put a low voltage across jack and tested connections for pos voltage corresponding to the way connections are wired to speaker. It was positive on woofer side and turned up negative on horn side. Which is making me think it's miswired and needs to be reversed but the matching cabinet I have is also wired this way. Maybe this is connected properly and just looking to understand why it's wired like this.

thanks for the assistance,
    Sean

Click image for larger version

Name:	YS 115 wiring.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	865021

second order crossovers (12db/octave) shift the phase of the signal 180 degrees and the drivers are commonly reversed so they are in phase, maybe this?

see here under second order
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

Comment

thanks for that info and quick reply...not sure if that's a second order crossover filter but I'm going to say that makes a lot of sense since both are wired this way. Glad I gained some knowledge and thank you much for the help.

Comment

What tedmich said.

The HF crossover has a phase shift. So we wire the tweeter "backwards" to correct for it, restoring proper phase relation.

The only thing wrong phasing hurts is how it sounds, so as an experiment, connect it up like it says to and listen to it. Play music from a CD player or something so you have nice full range sound. Now go in and reverse the two wires from the tweeter. Listen again. All the sounds should still be there, but now it should sound odd. It will have that "something isn;t quite right" sound.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          It will have that "something isn;t quite right" sound.
          Not as bad as the out of phase bass bins I hope
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well, no, those cancel out the bottom end. A woofer and tweeter out of phase don;t cancel much, just sounds funnny.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks, I played a high pitch sine wave tone and wired a switch to the leads to go in phase and out of phase. Definitely could tell the difference. The original configuration was correct.

What tedmich said.

The HF crossover has a phase shift. So we wire the tweeter "backwards" to correct for it, restoring proper phase relation.

The only thing wrong phasing hurts is how it sounds, so as an experiment, connect it up like it says to and listen to it. Play music from a CD player or something so you have nice full range sound. Now go in and reverse the two wires from the tweeter. Listen again. All the sounds should still be there, but now it should sound odd. It will have that "something isn;t quite right" sound.

Comment

Try it with music, so the full range is heard. Just as an experiment.

Comment

Enzo: the forums best advocate of experimentalism! You sir are a true scientist! "Go take your dogma for a run..."

Comment

Try it with music, so the full range is heard. Just as an experiment.
                    Tried that out with music, and it sounds separated and not in focus or centered when i put myself between the woofer and horn when it was out of phase.

Comment

Kinda hard to describe, yet also kinda obvious.

Comment

Working...
                      X