Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get pole piece assemblies machined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get pole piece assemblies machined?

I want to start making pickups with pole pieces like the ones on G&L MFD bass pickups. Apparently their patent expired a while ago so there's no legal/ethical problem with doing this - it's just a logistical nightmare. They pole pieces are .25" steel set screws in a threaded steel shaft which rests on a ceramic bar magnet. I've been searching and searching for alloy or zinc coated parts that would work together to make this so I don't have to have them custom machined but I haven't found them yet.

So, if I had to get them custom machined, where should I get it done? Anybody know of a machine shop that does this kind of thing relatively cheaply?

I would start by updating your Profile.
    Show where you are located.
    This Forum is World Wide.
    Also You should start doing some detailed Searching on this forum.
    Lots of these things have been brought up before.
    Good Luck,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Tonemonkey,
      Have you looked up the patent yet? That's a good place to start. If you know the number we can add it to the pickup patent database on the pickupedia.info wiki page. I'm not at all sure the pickup needed to be that complicated to get the job done, why not use staggered pole lengths to match the fingerboard radius and skip the whole threaded part on top, I've never seen anyone adjust those anyway.

Meanwhile I'm willing to bet it was an off-the-shelf part that Leo grabbed to save a buck. Have you looked through the Fastenal and the McMaster Carr catalogues? The bottom part is possibly a steel standoff or some sort of threaded fastener that looks like a rivet (unfortunately the name of the thing has left me).

As far as machine shops, anyone with a "Swiss" screw machine could make you a few hundred in no time once they are set up for it. Generally it's incredibly much cheaper per part to order 1000 or 5000 at a time to amortize that set-up.

Comment

G&l lists 28 patents and the one that fits the bill for this is 4220069. These pickups cropped up about a year or so ago and I'm sure I posted some gut shots of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
          G&l lists 28 patents and the one that fits the bill for this is 4220069. These pickups cropped up about a year or so ago and I'm sure I posted some gut shots of them.
          I think you did. I'm getting one for a rewind, so I'll post some photos.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yeah good old 4220069. An amazing patent. They got a patent on a humbucker where the magnets are 90 degrees off from normal because "the magnetic field doesn't want to make a 90 degree bend". You really can patent anything, apparently. It also references a DeMarzio patent that is equally revoltingly obvious, if you bother to follow it down the rabbit hole. I think it has something to do with adjustable pole pieces threaded into a plastic bobbin. Yeah,that really stretches the "art".

As for the adjustable inserts, why bother? Just cut mild steel rod to lengths to follow the neck radius and call it good. You can do that in your kitchen.
            making 63 and 66 T-bird pickups at ThunderBucker Ranch

Comment

the best thing about this pickup is that it really does sound good (with ceramic magnets), and it interfaces to a very interesting switching circuit with 3 modes. One is trad humbucking (both coils in series), one has the two coils in parallel, and one is a single coil. And it has a reverse direction tone pot that is a bass cut (hi pass).

A pretty novel circuit with a couple of good sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by marku52 View Post
                the best thing about this pickup is that it really does sound good (with ceramic magnets), and it interfaces to a very interesting switching circuit with 3 modes. One is trad humbucking (both coils in series), one has the two coils in parallel, and one is a single coil. And it has a reverse direction tone pot that is a bass cut (hi pass).

A pretty novel circuit with a couple of good sounds.
                I actually have a G&L L2000 Tribute and have modified the electronics quite a bit. I yanked the preamp and added more switching options. I might just be the only L2000 player that has messed with the adjustable poles much, but I've adjusted them to follow the neck profile and it balanced the tone out very nicely. I might just stick with non-adjustable pole pieces because it's turning into a pain in the butt to figure out what to use - I'm not sure it's worth it at all.

Comment

well, if your heart is really set on adjustables, just use the mild steel rods, then drill and tap them for a broad headed screw (maybe a pan head) for the adjustable part. A metal lathe would make this really easy (to drill and tap on center) but you could do it by hand as well.

Comment

Originally posted by marku52 View Post
                    well, if your heart is really set on adjustables, just use the mild steel rods, then drill and tap them for a broad headed screw (maybe a pan head) for the adjustable part. A metal lathe would make this really easy (to drill and tap on center) but you could do it by hand as well.
                    I use a tap that fits in my benchtop drill press. You turn it manually, but the press holds everything nice and square.

So I can drill my holes, and then put the tap in and tap them.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                      Tonemonkey,
                      Have you looked up the patent yet? That's a good place to start. If you know the number we can add it to the pickup patent database on the pickupedia.info wiki page. I'm not at all sure the pickup needed to be that complicated to get the job done, why not use staggered pole lengths to match the fingerboard radius and skip the whole threaded part on top, I've never seen anyone adjust those anyway.

Meanwhile I'm willing to bet it was an off-the-shelf part that Leo grabbed to save a buck. Have you looked through the Fastenal and the McMaster Carr catalogues? The bottom part is possibly a steel standoff or some sort of threaded fastener that looks like a rivet (unfortunately the name of the thing has left me).

As far as machine shops, anyone with a "Swiss" screw machine could make you a few hundred in no time once they are set up for it. Generally it's incredibly much cheaper per part to order 1000 or 5000 at a time to amortize that set-up.
                      The top and bottom flatwork on these is forbon and the inserts are fluted and threaded. If you can imagine a wooden dowel with fluting for the glue down the outside then the same thing in steel. They are flush with the forbon top and bottom and the screws allen type just screw straight in. Mags go on and the assembly is just glued into the cover. Very basic really.

Comment

Not a great photo, but you get the idea. I'll post some detailed shots once I get the pickup in for repair.

It's like a Musicman pickup, but with threaded inserts instead of magnets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	G&L4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	823979Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-01-16 at 2.28.29 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	823980

Comment

So it has to be a ceramic or neodymium magnet to be magnetized through the shortest dimension like that.

A straight knurl on the outside and threaded on the inside is still within the capability of any turret lathe or screw machine. Basically any machine shop anywhere should be able to reproduce these with ease.

David, I wouldn't mind seeing a close-up of the slug out of the hole it treads into. I also wonder if this design predates the WAL Mark IV...
                          I'm guessing that patent was filed in around 1982?

Comment

They are ceramic mags and a knurl should hold them in place just as well as the straight fluting. David be careful of the centre web molded into the cover to split the bobbins as it's quite weak and when you push of prise them out don't put any pressure on it. Bottom plate is only glued on as well. Wish I could remember where I put them stipped down pics, forgot which one of about 5000 folders the buggers went in.

Comment

In case yours are completely dead David. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19161/

Comment

Working...
                              X