Total newb question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total newb question...

I just got myself a soldering iron with intention of doing some wiring work on my guitar. The iron came with a roll of solder.

Now Ive heard that it is absolutely vital to use "rosin cored" solder for electronics work. But the supplied solder is not labelled as such. It just says 60/40 Pb/Sn.

I can see a small black spot in the centre of the solder wire cross-section. Is this the "rosin core" ? How can I tell if the solder is suitable?

Originally posted by MiloCroton View Post
    I just got myself a soldering iron with intention of doing some wiring work on my guitar. The iron came with a roll of solder.

Now Ive heard that it is absolutely vital to use "rosin cored" solder for electronics work. But the supplied solder is not labelled as such. It just says 60/40 Pb/Sn.

I can see a small black spot in the centre of the solder wire cross-section. Is this the "rosin core" ? How can I tell if the solder is suitable?
    If it is a small Iron, it probably is Rosin.
    If you heat up the iron and melt the solder and flux in the middle?
    If it smells like a pine tree, or organic, it is Rosin.
    If you post what brand the iron is we could probably look it up online.
    If you search on line that looks like rosin core.
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Working...
    X