Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue distortrion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue distortrion

I have been tearing my hair out on this. Can anybody help???

Turn the amp on with a signal generator (1kHz sine wave)in either channel and a square wave appears on pins 1 and 6. The chnl 1 volume control jumps up to max (although volume is obviously choked up) at about 1 on a scale of 10. Observing the sine wave on an o scope anywhere from input jack to pin2 of V1 and turning on the voltage switch only (no HV) and you can watch the top 1/3 of the sine wave decrease and flatten out

If I remove all but V1 and leaving the standby sw off (in stndby) the sine wave on pin 2 will clip on the plus side by about 35%.

Removing the tube still displays a sine wave on pin2 a small sine wave (same Sig Gen signal) on pin 1 (as well as pins 7 and 6)

I put my Fluke DVM on pin 1 of the socket (DCVolts) and watched the voltage rise slowly to about 6 volts. I reinstalled the tube and the voltage went slowly down. I jumped the filter caps (plus side) to ground and watched the sine wave regain it's normal shape and size when the filter caps had bled off to 0 volts). How come they are charging at all with the standby switch off? I'm about to replace the coupling cap at the plate of V1 (C11 0.01uF)I have replaced K1 and 2 I have checked the resistor values of all V1 circuits. I have looked at grounds of all components associated with v1. I have changed the tube twice. [I] replaced C1 (Dielectric 22uF 25V cap) and R5 1500 Ohm res. The amp has had a couple of mods done to it. R's 5, 10, and 12 have been doubled from 1500 to 3Kohms and the filter caps have been changed.

I don't think anyone will have any info about what a signal does when the amp is in standby. No one looks at that. Used filter caps can charge themselves up with no voltage applied (some kind of memory effect).
    What is the voltage of the 1khz test signal you are applying, and what is the fault (in run, not standby) that you are trying to solve?
    It is quite confusing, almost sounds like you are describing a bad volume pot (amp jumps to max with volume on one)?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, with no anode voltage but a drive to the grid you are seeing the tube act as a rectifier acting on the 1khz sine wave at the grid. A charge is accumulating on the filters of the V1 B+ line that has no return path when B+ is absent.
      What is the problem when the standby switch is closed putting B+ on the the plates of V1? What defect are you chasing down?

Comment

[QUOTE=g-one;245967] What is the voltage of the 1khz test signal you are applying,QUOTE]
        Yes, what is the value of this key piece of information?

Comment

As noted, if the amp is on standby then ANY input voltage can't yield useful information.

I actually found the whole post hard to follow and confused in direction.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yes, take a couple of deep breaths (and maybe a Valium or two) then tell us exactly what the problem is in non-technical terms. What the customer would be complaining of.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
            X