What Next 43 - 44 awg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Next 43 - 44 awg

Hi everyone, I am learning how to build my own pickups.. I have built a SM kit and rebuilt that a few times to get the hang of winding. The pickups sound fantastic now that I sorta got the hang of it and I have a set of wilkinsons humbuckers I want to rewind with a different gauge wire. I have been using 42awg and I want to build a hotter pickup.. just as a example mabey something like a jb or a airzone ?... This is what I have to work with,, Nic/silver baseplates, Alnico 5 mag no idea what the slugs or screw poles are made of.. This is my big question, I know for a 42awg 5000 wraps is a good start paf tone. So if I use 43awg should I start at 6000 and if I use 44awg should I start at 7000 per bobbin...

Originally posted by JCrab View Post
    Hi everyone, I am learning how to build my own pickups.. I have built a SM kit and rebuilt that a few times to get the hang of winding. The pickups sound fantastic now that I sorta got the hang of it and I have a set of wilkinsons humbuckers I want to rewind with a different gauge wire. I have been using 42awg and I want to build a hotter pickup.. just as a example mabey something like a jb or a airzone ?... This is what I have to work with,, Nic/silver baseplates, Alnico 5 mag no idea what the slugs or screw poles are made of.. This is my big question, I know for a 42awg 5000 wraps is a good start paf tone. So if I use 43awg should I start at 6000 and if I use 44awg should I start at 7000 per bobbin...
    When you go trying to copy other pickups, start with their DCR.
    If a humbucker is 14k or less it more than likely 43 gauge.
    If it is 16k DCR it is probably 44 AWG.
    There is also the coil estimator.
    It will get you close.
    Coil Estimator
    Good Luck,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks T,, this is going to take me some time to get thru.. By the way, Thanks for the advice, I slowed down my winding speed and it really helped out.

Comment

Working...
      X