Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended speaker for vintage Vox AC4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended speaker for vintage Vox AC4?

I'd like to know your opinion about best speaker for a clone vintage Vox AC4 amp (EF86 based circuit).

For 8-inch, I'm thinking Weber Blue Pup, 4 ohm.

But I might want to go 10-inch. I was thinking a couple of possibilities would be:
    • Weber 10-inch Blue Pup, 4 ohm, 20w
    • Celestion greenback G10

Basically, I'm looking for something that will complement the naturally deep/dark sound of the amp.

Thanks.

I absolutely love the 8" Tone Tubby alnico. I have one in a Vibro-Champ.
    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Originally posted by riz View Post
      I absolutely love the 8" Tone Tubby alnico. I have one in a Vibro-Champ.
      Depends on what you are after and what you are using for. I would make it as a head and use a variety of speakers. The Epiphone VJ baltic berch extension cab that comes with an Eminence speaker and cost around $100 sounds damn pretty good for the price. I played a small club with a VJ (5 watt single ended el84) head last week through an old 63 Tremolux cab with the original 2x10" Jensen speakers. It really screamed. I personally think all the 8" speakers in an open back can sound like crap. If you have to make a small combo, use a 10" (or even a 12") and consider making the bottom part a sealed cab. My opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
        Depends on what you are after and what you are using for. I would make it as a head and use a variety of speakers. The Epiphone VJ baltic berch extension cab that comes with an Eminence speaker and cost around $100 sounds damn pretty good for the price. I played a small club with a VJ (5 watt single ended el84) head last week through an old 63 Tremolux cab with the original 2x10" Jensen speakers. It really screamed. I personally think all the 8" speakers in an open back can sound like crap. If you have to make a small combo, use a 10" (or even a 12") and consider making the bottom part a sealed cab. My opinion of course.
        My intention is to have something portable to record with and, in some live cases, just mic it and depend almost totally on PA/monitor for sound reinforcement. I hack-hooked it up to the Oxford in my old Vibro Champ and it actually sounds pretty good. So I was thinking the Blue Pup 8 would be a step up and more "British" sounding. But I like the idea of a closed cab; I think you're right that it would be a better sound.

I'd like to consider 10-inch speaker, but my concern is that the vintage AC4 design appears to assume EQ characteristics of an 8-inch: it's a bit dark sounding, and the 8-inch brightens it up. [I would be concerned about the Tone Tubby sounding too dark because of the hemp cone.] Although, it almost sounds good through the Weber 12A125 that's in my 5E3, so I suppose it's just a question of getting the right configuration of speaker (lighter magnet, ribbed paper cone perhaps).

Comment

I have not heard any in quite a while but, I couldn't get rid of my Weber 8" pups soon enough.... hard spikey with very little bottom, yikes. Just nothing there to see folks.
          Two of the 8A100 sounded good in the same amp... but so did the Signature alnico 8"s and Jensen C8Rs....
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Cast frame rules the Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
              Cast frame rules the Galaxy.
              Have you used one of their speakers with a low wattage EL84 amp? Can you suggest a specific model for an AC4?

Comment

Originally posted by mbratch View Post
                Have you used one of their speakers with a low wattage EL84 amp? Can you suggest a specific model for an AC4?
                EVM 10L
                http://compare.ebay.com/like/3306717..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
                Sooner or later, the serious guitar player graduates to a cast frame speaker.
                And after, you never go back...
                Last edited by soundguruman; 02-25-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X