Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender 212 Deville Running Guitar & Mic (blown resistor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 212 Deville Running Guitar & Mic (blown resistor)

I'm having a problem with my Fender 212 Hot Rod Deville.
    I had blown a resister (R57) a few months back and I believe it was due to my setup.

I play in a rock/punk band two piece, and use a harmonica. Due to playing a lot of house shows and venues that do not have the best PA setup, I've turned to using my Deville as an amp for my guitar AND harmonica. I have the guitar going into input 1 and a mic plugged into input 2.
    With having both plugged into my amp, the volume output of the harmonica still needs to be raised a bit so it can be heard over the guitar. I used a preamp to boost the signal of the mic before it goes into the amp and it seems to help the problem and everything was fine.
    After a little bit of use, the overall volume output of the amp took a crap and I found out that I blew a R57 resistor.
    I believe it's blowing the resister because the external preamp is giving the harmonica mic signal too much power or something. If I just used a volume pedal on the mic instead of the preamp, would it stop the resister from getting blown out? I would think the use of a volume pedal would be different than a preamp in driving the signal to the Deville.
    Please let me know if I'm on the right track or need to figure out something different. Thanks!!

Welcome to the place. R57 is a screen grid resistor for one of the output tubes. The usual cause for failure is a bad power tube. Were the power tubes (6L6's) replaced when the resistor was last replaced?

Comment

No I did not replace the tubes when the resister was replaced. They were kind of new and I didn't want to drop the money on them if the issue was something else.

Comment

could the use of the preamp and the harmonica have anything to do with it? Because it seems like the problem started when I was began using this setup. If I used replaced the resister again and replaced the tubes, then just used a volume pedal with the mic.. would that possibly be better for the amp?

Comment

I do not feel that the input has anything to do with 'taking out' a screen resistor.
          As Bill stated, it is most likely a bad output tube.
          New or not, that does not guarantee anything.

Comment

Sounds good. Hopefully I can continue using my setup the way I have it. Is it a problem that I have a preamp feeding into the Deville input 2? (so meaning, preamp into preamp basically?)

And I'll go ahead and replace the resister and power tube amps (6L6's) and see if that continues to work. Thanks so much! Any other comments or ways to improve this setup?

Check out our music here: To Fear the Wolf | Official Website | News | Music | Webstore

Thanks so much! I'll be using this forum often!

Comment

Working...
            X