Can anyone ID this old microphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone ID this old microphone?

This may not be the right spot for this post, but I thought I would try. Here is a pic of a mic that I just have to find. It may not sound great ( I have never heard one ) but it is the spiffiest looking mic I have ever seen.
    Can anyone tell me the make and model? That would make searching a lot easier.
    Attached Files

Astatic model 600S
    CAD Audio · 6573 Cochran Rd. Bldg. I · Solon, Ohio 44139
    Phone: 800-762-9266 Ext. 211 · Fax: 440-248-4902 · E-mail: sales@cadaudio.com

Comment

How bad do you have to have one? Vintage Astatic Rocket Microphone | eBay
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Almost that bad, but the seller won't ship to the True North Strong and Free anyway.
        Thanks, at least I will watch and see what it goes for.

Comment

Originally posted by Resonator Guy View Post
          the seller won't ship to the True North Strong and Free anyway.
          I always ask, unless they have a big note somewhere that says they won't ship out of US. As far as I know, seller fees are higher to list it internationally, so sometimes they list it as US only but will ship elsewhere if you ask nice.
          When I'm looking for something, I go into ebay.com rather than .ca. If I go .ca, sometimes I won't see items that are on the .com site. I think it is the fee thing.
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

"Flash Gordon calling all Vulcans"
            "Please answer, we are under attack by Evil Dr Ming's robot troops"

Last edited by J M Fahey; 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

After seeing the price and the way bidding is going after two of ten days the quote, with apologies to David Bowie, is:

"Ground control to major bummer"

Comment

Incredible!!
                The excellent and useful Shures are going for around U$100 and this toy, which certainly must sound like cr*p is already surpassing U$270?
                "Everyday a fool is born"
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi impedance mics like that are desired by blues harp guys for the tone for that application. A low impedance Shure SM57 or 58 really doesn't work well. A Shure Green Bullet mic works fine for a beginner level harp player, but they are kind of like a Squire for guitar players, you reach a point where you want more. Vintage Shure's are nice, but they cost a whole lot more than U$100. With that said, the outer shell of the mic is really unimportant to the tone, it's the element inside that is key, and that is interchangeable. The mic posted has a unique and really cool shell, but how practical it is for playing is questionable. Check out some prices here: Harp Microphones : BluesMics.com, Your one stop shop for vintage music gear!

Comment

Yep, I have a bunch of "vintage" mics that look neat, and some don't even sound too bad, but they didn't cost that much for half added together. The only problem is my wife thinks it is cute and wouldn't object if I got one for a reasonable price. I could get another Gibson amp for my collection at that price.
                    I appreciate soundguruman giving me that name of the mic, and g-one finding this one on ebay. Maybe I will get it out of my system now.Click image for larger version

Name:	mic collection.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	824339

Comment

Well actually, it's a junk microphone.
                      But very collectable for it's unique design. And the one on e bay, very overpriced.
                      I would wait because I think you could find one for about $50.

Indecently, it's not vintage, it's pretty new. There are probably new ones still in the box for sale somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                        I would wait because I think you could find one for about $50.
                        Maybe, if you get real lucky. Then again you could win the lottery too.
                        This guy wants $600: Antique 1950's Astatic 600 Rocket ship microphone
                        Someone payed $350: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
                        I like the metal grille version, although back in the 40's, plastic was probably considered more space-age.
                        Untitled

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                        it's not vintage, it's pretty new. There are probably new ones still in the box for sale somewhere.
                        http://radiopics.com/Accessories/Astatic_600-S.htm
                        These are original made in USA, not re-issues. They were made in the 1940's (& maybe 1950's). If you call that "pretty new" and "not vintage", then you must be centuries old sir. I salute you.

Comment

agree with

agree with author good!

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            Sounds like the typical nonsense "fit anywhere" spambot posting.
                            Wait and see.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Well, that one on ebay went for $870. Resonator guy: were you the "lucky" one?

Comment

Working...
                              X