Power struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    If a 100 watt amp is totally cranked out in the woods where no one is around to hear, does it still like totally rock, dude?

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, how do they know the tree fell down then?

While I enjoy discussing the real physics of it all, the original post was intended to conjure up an image of AC current where some of the electrons were turning back to reverse direction and bumping into the guys further back in line still going forwards.... Y'see...
    that would imply that electrons have mass, and thus inertial effects would require some expenditure of energy to reverse their direction.

i believe i read somewhere that there is some connection between electron inertia and good old inductance.

Comment

In my vision they would also have little faces grimacing in effort.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I started learning electronics in the early 70's when I was introducted to the black holes.I never really got it that way.I went back to school in the early 90's and was presented with the water analogy and it worked much better for me.
        Current/Flow vrs. Voltage/Pressure and it worked much better for me.
        Of course that's just the beginning.You still have to do the math.
        It's kind of like playing the guitar.We all see and understand things in a different
        light.

Comment

That is the deal, water is an ANALOGY for the electrons and holes. It is more or less equivalent to tabulature versus sheet music. Analogies get you the overall idea, but it goes only so far, just as tab can get you to play most of th stuff you want, but there is a point beyond which learning to read music is the only way. For most of us, as long as we understand the ebb and flow, we can forgive the shortcomings of the model.

I tend to think of things in terms of B+ finding its way to ground, when in reality it is more like B+ is a giant suck hole drawing in electrons from the giant pool of them in the ground.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Oh no! I feel like a moth to a candle! Do light bulbs emit light? Are you sure they don't just suck darkness? And, of course, the sun being the heaviest thing in our local area, just sucks more darkness than anything else! Thus being the brightest object in the sky...

AC

Comment

Well, what's your stand? Electron flow or conventional current? DO your electrons grimace?

Comment

Originally posted by MitchK View Post
                awesome thread, the analogies are really interesting and useful.

and a literal answer to the question is well, the closer an electron gets to another one the more force it takes to overcome the repulsion between the two right so you might think that well it would take a lot of energy to actually make two electrons collide but really, electrons don't really exist in any one place at anyone time for all intents and purposes, they are fields or waves of potential, so they are always interacting and in that sense constantly colliding, but at the same time never actually touching becuaes they don't necessarily occupy any space.
                The correct way of saying this is that an electron (or any particle for that matter) is defined by a wavefunction. To find out anything anything about the wavefunction, you have to multiply the wavefunction by the appropriate operator. So measuring a wavefunction's properties alters the wavefunction.

If you shoot 1 electron a sheet of gold with two partitions in it, it will go through both of them at the same time!
                Yes, the double slit experiment. The interesting thing about is that the theory was done well before any experiment to prove it was done.

here is an awesome video on the subject, that may or may not cause some peoples brains to explode haha

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...e+wave+duality
                I hope my brain doesn't explode over it, considering I'm studying it.

Originally posted by kg View Post
                that would imply that electrons have mass, and thus inertial effects would require some expenditure of energy to reverse their direction.

i believe i read somewhere that there is some connection between electron inertia and good old inductance.
                There is no connection between a electron's mass and inductance. The formula for inductance is V = d(L*I)/dt. dV/dl = E, which is simply the electric field in the wire.

Comment

THAT WAS VERY COOL
                  One of my old time customers is also one of thouse Walt Disney, outrageous heady PHD characters working on a secret PV project for the XXX and we've had this coversation many times while he is trying to explain his patent to me on a new PV cell system with what is similar to multi layered fresnel lenses (tuned to different freqs) to scoop out the max amount of energy from all wavelengths of light and then run them back through steering "diodes" to charge unubtainium batteries.

Bruce
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur B. View Post
                    There is no connection between a electron's mass and inductance. The formula for inductance is V = d(L*I)/dt. dV/dl = E, which is simply the electric field in the wire.
                    wrong, arthur.

The phenomenon of inductance is clear proof that the electric field of a moving electron has inertia.

Electrostatic inertia is associated with the concept of inductance, used in electric circuits; creating the magnetic field in an inductor takes energy that must be supplied by the external electromotive source. This energy is ‘L.I2/2’, where ‘L’ is the inductance and ‘I’ is the current; the current is simply a count of the moving electrons, and hence is proportional to the total moving electrostatic field.

In order to make higher inductances the wires are formed in a loop or coil so that the induced magnetic fields from different electrons overlap and add. The electric fields from electrons in adjacent loops add linearly, so the energy involved increases as the square. This is why inductance ‘L’ is proportional to the square of the number of turns in the loop, and is clear proof that the electric field of the electron has inertia.

When current is flowing in a circuit through an inductor, and the circuit is suddenly broken open, a spark will jump across the break. This is caused by the augmented inertia associated with the electrons’ overlapping electric fields - they cannot stop dead, but have to dissipate their induced magnetic energy. This is a clear demonstration that an electron’s inertia owes much to its elecrostatic field.

Adding a ferrous core to such a coil increases the induced magnetic field dramatically, leading to much increased induced inertia.
                    http://www.mariner.connectfree.co.uk...m_inertia.html

ps. i know what inductance is.

Comment

Working...
                    X