No announcement yet.

Broken Octal Tube Socket Pin ?? HELP !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Octal Tube Socket Pin ?? HELP !!

Hi folks, I was just finishing up a new 5E3 build when I

snapped tube socket pin 7 of V3 (6V6).Anyway, looking at the data sheet can I transfer pin #1

to the #7 spot ?? Looks like pin #1 has no function ?? Thanks folks

The tube you put in that socket wouldn't recognize the change and wouldn't work.

Comment

Why ? The data sheet shows pin #1 is not connected to anything.......no ??

Comment

You mean the pin in the socket, not the tube, right? Then you can use either socket pin1 or 6, as long as they are not being used for tie points.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

But the tubes heater at its pin 7 is expecting the appropriate voltage at the sockets pin 7 , not at 1 or 6.

Comment

Buy a new tube socket.
            If that is the only Tragedy you have in a build, count yourself lucky!
            When I built my amp, I broke a pin, and ordered a new socket.
            I would want to keep the confusion down, and not start altering the layout!
            Good Luck,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by crunchman View Post
              ...can I transfer pin #1 to the #7 spot ?..
              Yes you can. How easy it is depends on the construction of your exact tube socket. I've done that before and it saved lots of effort that it would have taken to procure ind install a new tube socket. I've also got a stash of "donor" sockets for those times when there are no unused pins. (for the tube itself or tie points. After the pin (actually the female socket) is installed you must be sure that the retainer tang is bent into position to lock the part in place so that it stays put when tubes are inserted and removed in the future.
              Good thinking,
              Tom

Comment

Don't do half-assed work. Replace the tube socket. Shit happens, and you just have to take care of it the right way.
                John R. Frondelli
                dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

OK, I moved the pin from 1 to 7, the amp is working well.I had the power chord chassis grounded but I fixed that LOL !

I am using an OLD pair of 6L6's as my re-issue TS's are in route.I do notice wild hissing if both volumes are dimed, not sure how

unusual that is (maybe swap the OT leads ?) Well, I'm glad its fairly straight, even the power scaling (skipz mini-watt) is working well, I have to wait for the cab to dry and install the speaker, put in the 6v6's and order a new tube socket.I may just do the cab now, thankful no serious issues !! Thanks !!

Comment

Resonator. If it is not yet clear, he had a broken pin on the socket. He doesn't want to move the wires to a different pin location on the socket. He wants to take one of the unused pins (pin1 or pi 6) and move it to pin 7 position to "repair" the socket. In other words he wants to replace the broken pin with a new pin.

I see nothing wrong with doing this. SOme sockets are molded together, but many sockets have the pins anchcored in place by a small barb on the metal pin. Removing a pin is like removing a pin from a molex connector. Moving an unused one can be expedient. Female pins are sometimes left out of rectifier tube sockets to reduce the likelihood of arcs. And certainly the tube I am holding in my hand which has no pin 1 or 6 on it, will not miss those pins in a socket.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The only downside to this would be if the amp was sold and someone unknowingly inserted an
                      old metal 6V6, I believe these used pin #1 as a ground.

Comment

I call those (with good reason to) "Saturday afternoon repairs", when every shop is closed and the guy plays that very same night to a packed house (or so he claims, usually it's his school buddies ).
                        They usually (not always) save the day, but first thing Monday is ordering the missing parts and finishing the work properly.
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The only downside to this would be if the amp was sold and someone unknowingly inserted an
                          old metal 6V6, I believe these used pin #1 as a ground.
                          But in the typical Fender amp, pin 1 was used as a tie point for the grid resistor. So removing a socket pin at pin 1 would be the least of their worries. And Looking at a 6V6 in my hand, pins 1 and 6 are not on the tube in the first place, so I don;t know how missing socket pins there would matter in any way.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                          X