No announcement yet.

New Amp Day! But I need help! 72 champ.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Day! But I need help! 72 champ.

So I finally scored a silverface champ, and man is it cool! The amp is working pretty good except I have one issue with it. When I play certain things, and it doesnt even happen all the time but I get sort sort of rattle, its not super loud but its there. Also there seems to be a high pitched vibrating sound too, almost like fret buzz. Its very hard to explain. Anyhow, since my tech is about an hour away I wanted to narrow the problems down and if its something I can fix myself I will do so. The previous owner thinks it may be the speaker (it has the original blue label fender speaker) and I think he may be right but I feel like it could be something like tubes (seems to have the original tubes). But one thing is that there was no rectifier tube, but it came with something that I think COULD be a solid state rectifier? I will post pictures below. I was thinking if it might be a speaker throwing $25 into a weber signature 8 just to see if that helps and then investing in a re-cone of the original or a new speaker later down the road. I opened up the amp being very careful, and did not see any loose solders or anything that to me would be out of the ordinary, but I am no tech. So in summation, could this noise be a speaker or tubes?

Rectifier? : Click image for larger version

Name:	rectifier.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	865263

Click image for larger version

Name:	amp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	865264
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Are the tubes original? Those symptons remind me of a recent incident where the phase inverter tube in my Tweed Pro was rattling and giving a subtle, high pitch "swirling" undertone. Try some simple tube swaps to see if it fixes anything

Comment

The "1n1239":
      These are made by Semicon Inc.
      Plug-in solid state replacement for vacuum tubes 5R4 & 5U4. Octal base.
      Rated @ 2800 vdc, 1 amp.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
      X