Top going or top coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top going or top coming?

I am finally getting around to building a pickup winder after thinking about it for very long time. I am using a NOS Dayton 2m057b motor, which runs CCW. The layout that I like the most has the bobbin top-coming on the right or top-going on the left. It seems that most pickup makers use top-going on the right winders. Other than having to be mindful of polarity, is there a downside to using a top-coming winder?

Originally posted by Tonestack View Post
    I am finally getting around to building a pickup winder after thinking about it for very long time. I am using a NOS Dayton 2m057b motor, which runs CCW. The layout that I like the most has the bobbin top-coming on the right or top-going on the left. It seems that most pickup makers use top-going on the right winders. Other than having to be mindful of polarity, is there a downside to using a top-coming winder?
    As far as I know Everyone winds Top going on Both sides.
    I wind using the right arm facing the winder.
    Which would be the CCW side.
    If I want CW I turn the bobbin over.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

To make the bobbin spin top-going on the right, I have mount the motor directly behind the bearing posts with the motor wire pointing towards the right side of the winder. I want to mount the motor with the wire facing away from the bearing posts like the Dayton 2m066 was mounted on the original Fender pickup winder. That way I can wire the motor cleanly into a single gang handy box with a dimmer switch. I do not know if the 2m066 that was used on the old Fender pickup winder ran CW or CCW, but the current Dayton 2m066 runs CCW.

The original Fender pickup winder

Click image for larger version

Name:	fender_pickup_winder.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	824801
      Last edited by Tonestack; 04-18-2012, 02:21 AM.

Comment

To make the bobbin spin top-going on the right, I have mount the motor directly behind the bearing posts with the motor wire pointing towards the right side of the winder. I want to mount the motor with the wire facing away from the bearing posts like the Dayton 2m066 was mounted on the original Fender pickup winder. That way I can run wire the motor cleanly into a single gang handy box with a dimmer switch. I do not know if the 2m066 that was used on the old Fender pickup winder ran CW or CCW, but the current Dayton 2m066 runs CCW.

The original Fender pickup winder

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18184[/ATTACH]
        The bobbin mounted on the winder will end up being wound CCW.
        So the Bobbin is being rotated CW.
        Follow the rotation of the motor, I think is CCW.
        Which way you mount the motor would determine the rotation direction.
        That is a definite Maybe!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          The bobbin mounted on the winder will end up being wound CCW.
          So the Bobbin is being rotated CW.
          Follow the rotation of the motor, I think is CCW.
          Which way you mount the motor would determine the rotation direction.
          That is a definite Maybe!
          T
          The bobbin direction follows the motor direction if the motor is mounted parallel to the bobbin shaft with the motor shaft on the right. For example, if I mount the 2m057b like the 2m066 was mounted on the original Fender pickup winder (shaft side on the right), the bobbin will spin CCW. If I flip the motor over (i.e., shaft on the left side instead of the right), the bobbin will spin CW. The 2m066 is an odd beast in that it has shafts on both ends of the motor. The literature claims that the 2m066 rotates CCW, but one end is guaranteed to rotate CW.

Comment

The bobbin direction follows the motor direction if the motor is mounted parallel to the bobbin shaft with the motor shaft on the right. For example, if I mount the 2m057b like the 2m066 was mounted on the original Fender pickup winder (shaft side on the right), the bobbin will spin CCW. If I flip the motor over (i.e., shaft on the left side instead of the right), the bobbin will spin CW. The 2m066 is an odd beast in that it has shafts on both ends of the motor. The literature claims that the 2m066 rotates CCW, but one end is guaranteed to rotate CW.
            That is not correct.
            That bobbin in the picture is turning, top Going.
            Looking at the end of the bobbin it is spinning CW.
            The wire will be Wrapped CCW.
            T
            **Edit Note
            Your correct that the bobbin is turning the same direction as the end of the motor.
            The winder in the picture, looking at the end of the motor and the end of the bobbin.
            They both need to be rotating CW looking at the ends of the shaft and bobbin.
            The bobbin rotating CW will result in the wire being wound on the bobbin CCW.
            Confusing I know!
            Last edited by big_teee; 04-18-2012, 03:21 AM.
            Terry

Comment

On any machine you can reverse the direction of the wind by just flipping the bobbin around the other way. If you have poll pieces sticking out of the top that get in the way, you can cut a little groove or drill some holes in your faceplate to accept them.

Comment

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                On any machine you can reverse the direction of the wind by just flipping the bobbin around the other way. If you have poll pieces sticking out of the top that get in the way, you can cut a little groove or drill some holes in your faceplate to accept them.
                I agree, I use a spacer I made for Strat coils with staggered Magnets.
                You will end up liking one side better than the other anyway, if You hand guide.
                T
                Terry

Comment

I guess that I was not clear enough in my original posting. My concern centers around bobbin rotation direction and how it affects winding dynamics. If I use the polished rod plus shaft collars as stops approach to feeding the wire, less drag is imposed on the wire as it crosses the rod if the bobbin is spinning top-going. Granted, I could just orient the wire such that it is fed from the bottom of the rod.

Comment

I guess that I was not clear enough in my original posting. My concern centers around bobbin rotation direction and how it affects winding dynamics. If I use the polished rod plus shaft collars as stops approach to feeding the wire, less drag is imposed on the wire as it crosses the rod if the bobbin is spinning top-going. Granted, I could just orient the wire such that it is fed from the bottom of the rod.
                    Sorry if I led you astray.
                    I recommend watching some Vids that show folks winding.
                    Here's one.
                    STEWMAC.COM : Video of Schatten Pickup Winder
                    There is all kind of useful stuff in the beginners corner.
                    Here is a thread full of Vids.
                    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t24304/
                    Good Luck,
                    Terry
                    Terry

Comment

That motor and any universal motor is relatively easy to reverse.
                      If you don't feel like opening the back and switching wires around you can simply turn the motor around 180 degrees (or run the belt in a figure-8 if you are really lazy.)

I always wind with the top of the bobbin going away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                        ...or run the belt in a figure-8 if you are really lazy....
                        I like the simplicity, but won't the belt destroy itself from friction?

Comment

Working...
                        X