Mallory 150 cap polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallory 150 cap polarity

Hey guys I have some Mallory 150 M Capacitors I am putting in my strat tone pot. Only how do you tell which side is positive and negative. And what is the correct polarity orientation on the Pot?

There is no polarity on Mallory 150 caps...hook it up any which way and it will work fine. As far as the pot, just hook the new cap up to the same place as the other cap was on it.

Greg

Comment

Well there kinda is....the outside foil for self shielding. But its not marked.....
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I think we covered this here once and determined that it really doesn't matter. But FWIW the "standard" seems to be that you can read the printing on the cap in the direction of the outer wrap end.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
          Well there kinda is....the outside foil for self shielding. But its not marked.....
          You can determine the outer foil lead, but you need an oscilloscope to do it--at least that's the way I know how to do it.

Comment

I wouldn't think it would have much effect on a guitar Pot?
            Voltage is very low.
            a Mallory 150 is 600+volt rated.
            I doubt that it would make much if any diff. on a guitar, in that application!
            B_T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

a 600 WVdc cap on a guitar tone control?
              WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                a 600 WVdc cap on a guitar tone control?
                WTF.
                I use my left over Amp Caps, and they work great.
                I have some .022, & .033uf Sozos in my LP.
                Probably not politically correct, but they sound the Bomb!
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Mallory 150s aren't consistent with which end has outer foil attached. Easy way to test without scope is with 1/4 plug soldered to alligator clips. Clip cap to both wires, plug in amp, crank it up, hold outside of cap with fingers and hear hum. Reverse polarity and try again. When holding it makes more hum, the wire attached to the 'hot' of the 1/4" plug is attached to outside foil. Much quicker process with scope.

Comment

I for the life of me can't figure out why it matters in the slightest which end is "outer foil" in a guitar amp. I arrange the caps so they all have the print reading the same way for a professional appearance.

Yeah, I hear about shielding, yet I don't hear about what is being shielded from what. A typical cap feeds from a plate to a grid. ANY signal on one end is coupled to the other end by the very capacitance of the part.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

My interpretation of the idea is that the outer foil is best connected to the side that has the lowest impedance path to ground, eg to the plate side in that example. Then any EMI it picks up (from other wiring / components) goes to ground via the plate, rather than acting as an antenna to the grid.
                      Does any 'real' text book cover it, eg RDHX, or did it just originate from the musings of G Weber or similar?
                      Pete.
                      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

It might matter in an RF circuit, but not here.

We can rationalize all sorts of things.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

According to Randall Aiken:

"Proper orientation of the capacitors will make the amplifier much less susceptible to outside noise, including hum, interference from fluorescent lighting, and tendency towards oscillations or frequency-response peaks and dips due to unwanted feedback from nearby signals within the amplifier, which can affect the tone of the amplifier (and is the reason why some people claim the amp sounds different if the caps are oriented in the opposite way - if there is no accidental coupling, there will be no tonal difference, but there will still be a noise benefit gained from orienting the caps the correct way)."

From Where to connect outside foil on capacitors

Comment

Originally posted by Raybob View Post
                            According to Randall Aiken:

"Proper orientation of the capacitors will make the amplifier much less susceptible to outside noise, including hum, interference from fluorescent lighting, and tendency towards oscillations or frequency-response peaks and dips due to unwanted feedback from nearby signals within the amplifier, which can affect the tone of the amplifier (and is the reason why some people claim the amp sounds different if the caps are oriented in the opposite way - if there is no accidental coupling, there will be no tonal difference, but there will still be a noise benefit gained from orienting the caps the correct way)."

From Where to connect outside foil on capacitors
                            If it is that critical, then why are they not Marked?
                            Marking them at the factory would be the logical place wouldn't you think!
                            Rassling around trying to figure out how individual capacitors got labeled or marked, seems pretty extreme to me!
                            Sozos have a black mark on them.
                            They are suppose to all be according to the mark.
                            I've looked all over some of the caps and they look exactly the same on both ends.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

OK... I mentioned this once before here and didn't think of it at the time of my last post.

Just to test this idea I did an experiment. I was building two identical amps for someone and I thought about it only after stuffing one of the boards. So one amp had the caps installed random, which ended up being over half oriented "incorrectly", and the other had the lead attached to the outer foil soldered to the lowest impedance end of whatever circuit they were in. There was no difference in noise at all. The two amps did sound slightly different though (very slightly). But I could attribute that to different tubes and part tolerances.

M2C
                              Last edited by Chuck H; 05-08-2012, 01:39 AM.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X