Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey 5150 EVH head... Reinstalling the output tube circuit board???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 5150 EVH head... Reinstalling the output tube circuit board???

The amp had a shorted/blown fly back diode. This is a seperate circuit board for the output tubes. At some point the board had something spilled on it. It's dirty and could have arced some sockets. The sockets are so tight against the circuit and they can't be inspected. What would you do? Pull all the sockets? And how would you remount the circuit board ? Screws? Rivets? Anybody has experience with this..... The board is dirty and needs to be cleaned....

Yes, drill out the rivets. 8 of them. You can then use a pop rivet gun to install it when you are done.

I haven't been in one of these in a while, I remember them as having the board backed off of the sockets a ways. FAr enough I could unsolder a screen resistor from the solder side facing out, and then fish out the loose resistror from under the board between the sockets.

I wouldn;t suggest removing the sockets from the board if not necessary, as it is a pain in the ass to line up the socket legs with all the holes, then get the altitude right with the other sockets.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've had to drill out rivets on some of these, as a last resort. The ones I did needed a rivet size not usually carried in stock at Lowe's, etc. I think I got them at Fastenal. POP brand #AS52ABS201, hole size .160-.164, grip range .063-.125. No guarantee that is what your amp needs, but just be aware.

Comment

I have always used plain old 1/8" pop rivets.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The owners story goes, it was stored in the band's trailer and the roof sprung a leak. They set up at the gig with a wet amp and turned it on, well it only lasted a minute. He said after it stopped working he noticed ice built built up on the chassis. He told me he bought the amp new in 91 and loves it but it is beat to hell, looks awful. I'm thinking he's gonna be a good customer.... The octal sockets fit tight against the circuit board keeping dirt locked underneath. So I might replace the sockets. Thx to all for the valued info. Some repairs are fun some aren't............

Comment

I took one of those boards off once and put it back with screws.

Comment

As long as it is secure when mounted, there is no wrong way.

Comment

Enzo's 1/8" rivets idea was fast and easy. I replaced the protect diodes with 2 1n4007 in series and the high voltage rectifier diodes and it's working great. This amp came with Ruby 6L6's and they have been extremely durable and last longer than expected..... Thx men for helping me out.......

Comment

Working...
                X