Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland D50 MIDI OUT PROBLEM

Hi guys.
    I have a D50 with a strange behavior over MIDI out port; when I try to Dump it's patch data to the Computer it starts sending the patches but the upcoming data from the keyboard are messy and unrecognizable for librarian software and in result causes the computer not to receive the whole patches properly; so, no patch list is displayed and nothing can be done.

I've already tried SysexD50 and D50 Librarian software. Same result with both. even on different computers using two types of MIDI interfaces.
    Keyboard's Midi input is OK and I can easily send patches from computer to it.
    When I use it as a midi controller it works fine. I can use it to play VSTs on pc or controlling another synth.

I have already tried doing a factory default reset on it and changing the midi setting without any success.

So far i'm pretty sure that something is wrong in the keyboard.
    Maybe it's important to say that all the 6 SRAM chips on the mainboard were changed after one of those chips was damaged in a short circuit.

Do you guys have ever had such an experience?
    I'll appreciate your help
    Ciro

Originally posted by kooroshi60 View Post
    Hi guys.
    I have a D50 with a strange behavior over MIDI out port; when I try to Dump it's patch data to the Computer it starts sending the patches but the upcoming data from the keyboard are messy and unrecognizable for librarian software and in result causes the computer not to receive the whole patches properly; so, no patch list is displayed and nothing can be done.

I've already tried SysexD50 and D50 Librarian software. Same result with both. even on different computers using two types of MIDI interfaces.
    Keyboard's Midi input is OK and I can easily send patches from computer to it.
    When I use it as a midi controller it works fine. I can use it to play VSTs on pc or controlling another synth.

I have already tried doing a factory default reset on it and changing the midi setting without any success.

So far i'm pretty sure that something is wrong in the keyboard.
    Maybe it's important to say that all the 6 SRAM chips on the mainboard were changed after one of those chips was damaged in a short circuit.

Do you guys have ever had such an experience?
    I'll appreciate your help
    Ciro
    Try to transfer the information firstly to the Roland sequencer
    (for example SB-55 SoundBrush), and after that from sequencer to computer.

Comment

Originally posted by doctor View Post
      Try to transfer the information firstly to the Roland sequencer
      (for example SB-55 SoundBrush), and after that from sequencer to computer.
      I tried sending patches to another D50 but there is something wrong in the keyboard because neither the "Receiver" D50 could not successfully receive the patches. When I started transferring to another D50, the [receiver] started loading the patches, showing the "Loading ......." message but never ended the transfer. it shows "Loading......." for ever!!!

Midi output of D50 is directly connected to CPU. Is that possibly the cause of messy midi dump data?

Comment

Maybe one of the replacement SRAM chips is bad or badly soldered, or the PCB was damaged while changing them out. The problem could affect a range of memory addresses that is only used by the Sysex dump routine.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I won't suggest you are confused about what you are doing...or that it can't be a bad chip, etc., but...

I'd double-check all the settings on both devices (that are connected at any one time) to confirm that all the parameters are set properly to transmit and receive. If possible, do a two-way "handshaking" mode so both devices are communicating with each other, instead of just "one-way" sending to other, with no confirmation of data integrity (if you haven't already tried that). Just make sure the settings match up on both devices, and if you are doing a two-way "handshake", make sure you don't have a setting in either device that causes a MIDI loop...which will also hang it. Actually...that may be a real possibility, if you haven't double-checked that. If there are any settings in your D50, program or computer MIDI connection that allows something like "MIDI Echo", etc., turn that off, if you have two-way MIDI.

These can get confusing, especially if you are swapping receiving devices and programs. Each device and program has to be set perfectly to allow proper communication, or when you hit "Send" (or "Dump"...whatever) it will hang, and never finish. It could be TRYING to send, but the receiving device isn't receiving.

Since you know it happens on everything you've tried so far, you can assume there is nothing wrong with any of the receiving devices...so it has to be the D50, or some settings. Knowing that, I'd connect it to your usual computer, bring up the D50 librarian, and start tweaking settings to see if you can work your way into it working. If that doesn't work, maybe try the D50 Sysex, and see if you can tweak that into working?

Check for all this on both the D50 and the program you try first, before moving on. You may have gotten frustrated and confused by trying different things on so many different configurations, and are missing something relatively simple. You KNOW it is capable of sending and receiving MIDI data, so that's a promising start.

If it STILL doesn't work, it could very well be a malfunction in the D50.

Good luck,

Brad1
          Last edited by Brad1; 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
            Maybe one of the replacement SRAM chips is bad or badly soldered, or the PCB was damaged while changing them out. The problem could affect a range of memory addresses that is only used by the Sysex dump routine.
            Thank you for your reply. Sounds really reasonable. I'll check and re-solder the SRAM chips and report the result ASAP.

Comment

There are two modes the D-50 uses when transferring sysex. It defaults to "handshake mode" which requires two midi cables. It also requires that the receiving device respond with an acknowledgement when queried.

If you haven't yet, you might want to try the "one-way mode". This is what almost all devices since the D50 use, anyway. The transmitting D50 simply sends the data without waiting for a response. To access this mode: Press and hold the "data transfer" button. While holding "data transfer" press the "bulk dump" button. This puts it in "one way mode". Likewise, the receiving unit would have to be setup similarly. Press and hold "data transfer", and press "bulk load" while holding "data transfer".

Also, Roland usually uses a midi ID number, as well as the midi channel, and these have to be set the same on transmitter and receiver. I can't remember if the D50 uses those IDs or not. It's been a long time since I've actually seen one.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bkahuna View Post
                If you haven't yet, you might want to try the "one-way mode". This is what almost all devices since the D50 use, anyway. The transmitting D50 simply sends the data without waiting for a response.
                Certainly worth a try, but the reason I suggested the two-way mode is that it will check the integrity of the received data to the data in the sending unit, where the one-way method won't. So, if it is just some settings not quite right, if he does get it to actually transfer and finish...but the data is still wrong...he may be able to compare the data, which may help lead to an unforeseen solution.

BUT, doing it one-way would certainly help avoid any MIDI feedback issues that I spoke of.

Anyway, I think I'd double-check ALL the possibilities of settings/connections before starting to replace sensitive components. What if it IS just a wrong setting? And, what if the component change is unnecessary, and even makes things worse?

Brad1

Comment

Working...
                X