Tweed Pro OT in Deluxe Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweed Pro OT in Deluxe Reverb

I have a question regarding a replacemtn output transformer in my DRRI. Ive got on hand Mercury Magnetics Tweed Pro OT (6k primary, 8 ohms, 1846 model). The lower primary impedance would make it compatible with 6V6s and 6L6s. Thats an intriguing option to have. BUT, how would a Tweed-stlye output transformer sit with a Blackface circuit? I know for a fact that the OT primaries are mismatched, with one leg measuring 152 ohms, and the other measuring 170. The MM represenative was very proactive about the idea, saying that it would fatten the tone(a good thing), but also make it a little spongier( not so good of a thing).

My thinking is that the higher quality MM tranny would be an improvement over the stock OT, but Im concerned that it might alter the tone to my disliking. I love my DR/Tele combo, with spanky lows, slightly scooped mids and sweet highs, quick attack and of course the headroom. Perfect that spankin' country/rockabilly tones.

Any users pairing a Tweed style OT with a Blackface stlye amp?

1846 model?~ is that a part number or do you mean the year (1946?). Just wondering.

It'll rock!! (maybe). I have a tweed low-pwr-twin OT in my 66 Showman single 115 and its great! (that's an analogous comparison).

6k is common for some Fender 6L6 applications. Neil Young uses a stock 5E3 OT with 6L6s. Just try it.

In my case, I mainly wanted to pull two tubes. I compared the bf bandmaster and the 5E8 OTs and they had the same 4k primaries, so I just went with the Tweed. Since you already have it— stab it in!!

I have a vox AC15 OT in my 5E3 that has a Mercury 380v PT. Don't be afraid to to different things like that. I LOVE the way my Tweed Deluxe sounds~ of course, the original AC15 and the 5E3 OTs both had 8k primaries …still, I bet not too many have tried that combo.

Keep us posted on what it sounds like. Perhaps your SS rectification should make a bigger difference in your tonal considerations.

Comment

Working...
    X