Egnater Tweaker 40 Combo Lacks low end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnater Tweaker 40 Combo Lacks low end

I got a chance to try one of these out at GC today and I was a bit unimpressed. For a 6L6 amp , I really expected a better bottom end out of it ( like a Hot Rod Deluxe) but instead it sounded rather thin, even with the bass knob cranked. And while most tube amps seem to open up when cranked up, this one seemed to stay somewhat flat. It looks like it has a nice Vintage 30 style speaker and it weighs a ton as a result of it but the cabinet is very compact sized which might be the reason why it lacks low end. Too bad, I was looking forward to a nice compact sized 40 watt 6L6 combo. One other disappointing thing with this is when I was cranking it up with the bass up it sounded like a bad tube crackling , kind of like a bad cable, but it didn't do it on the second channel. The guy working there said I must've been clipping it. I never had a tube amp clip on me and the identical second channel didn't. I asked him if it had solid state parts in it but he didn't reply. I think it was defective on channel one. Not very inspiring for a new floor model

Egnator amps are about the best, so what you have is probably abused or out of spec.
    Seems like the bias is adjusted wrong, or something goofy.
    You just need to find a better tech.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
      Egnator amps are about the best, so what you have is probably abused or out of spec.
      Seems like the bias is adjusted wrong, or something goofy.
      You just need to find a better tech.
      I was just trying it out at GC. A brand new floor model. Bias probably has nothing to do with it. It was only on one channel. Probably just a bad preamp tube. Poor QC no doubt. I'm more concerned about the fact that it has no low end that is probably do to the undersized cab. I'm not sure if I'd classify Egnater as one of the best brands out there. Seems like there's quite a few problems I've read about them maybe because they're Chinese made. .I was hopeful on this but it fell short imo.

Comment

Working...
      X