Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Closing a show for Dick Dale this Friday and have a question about new 6L6s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Closing a show for Dick Dale this Friday and have a question about new 6L6s.

First post here. Hello all.

I've heard it said that Dick Dale uses Rubys these days but that is beside the point. I'm not trying to sound like him at his own show here in Rochester, NY this Friday.
    And yes, my local surf band is actually following Dick Dale.

The Winged C 6l6gc's in my blackface super reverb need replacing, and quickly.
    Problem is: My trusted supplier (KCA NOS) has stopped carrying them because of a recent price increase.
    Second problem: I don't trust the practices of the other suppliers. I have no idea what their knowledge is or what kind of testing equipment they own.

Have any of you found something that is comparable to the Winged C 6L6?
    What are your experiences with other suppliers?

I'd hate to make a change like this right before such an important gig. For some reason I think those winged c are in a class of their own.

Regards,
    Josh

Originally posted by mr5f6a View Post
    ...yes, my local surf band is actually following Dick Dale.

Don't sweat it.
    Just borrow Dick's amp.

Glad to be of service,
    rjb
    Wise-Ass-at-Large
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

He's one of those Maryland wise-asses.

Comment

Problem is: My trusted supplier (KCA NOS) has stopped carrying them because of a recent price increase.
        Second problem: I don't trust the practices of the other suppliers. I have no idea what their knowledge is or what kind of testing equipment they own.

I'd hate to make a change like this right before such an important gig. For some reason I think those winged c are in a class of their own.

Regards,
        Josh
        Josh,

Why not contact Mike at KCA and ask what he recommends? You mention you don't trust other suppliers.
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

@JoeM. That is exactly what led me to post here. I'd like more opinions before I spend $240 on the NOS Sylvanias he recommended.
          BTW, He'd have to charge $200 a pair for the SED Winged-C 6L6GC if he were to continue stocking them.

Comment

$240.00 ?? Ouch, no wonder. I'm in a similar situation, I've got SEDs in my Bassman clone too, don't know what I'd use to replace them. As far as suppliers, I've been buying tubes from Antique Electronic Supply for many years.
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

There are lots of fine 6L6s that many people use. I have had great success with the Ruby 6L6GCSTRM ( or however the letter order goes). I have yet to have a bad one, and they are a good performing sturdy tube. Ruby sells a number of different 6L6s, so don;t be confused.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

@JoeM. That is exactly what led me to post here. I'd like more opinions before I spend $240 on the NOS Sylvanias he recommended.
                BTW, He'd have to charge $200 a pair for the SED Winged-C 6L6GC if he were to continue stocking them.
                Why? INTERNET retail is about $140 a full quad set.
                He must get a much better deal on tubes then I can. I can't get $200.00 for a quad set of SED Svetlana tubes... I'd get laughed out the door trying to ask that much.
                If you want to buy some yourself, here is a start:

6L6GC, Winged C | Antique Electronic Supply LLC
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

+1 on the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR
                  Magic Parts does a good job at testing and matching and the MSTR has always given me good results.

Comment

First post here. Hello all.

I've heard it said that Dick Dale uses Rubys these days but that is beside the point. I'm not trying to sound like him at his own show here in Rochester, NY this Friday.
                    And yes, my local surf band is actually following Dick Dale.

Regards,
                    Josh
                    Bugle Boy is always a good choice, wing C is almost as good....the trouble is everyone who sells sets matched that well is going to charge $$$ for them.
                    It's been a while since I worked on Dick's amplifiers...
                    but be sure to tell him I said hi.

Comment

I will have to try some Rubys. I keep hearing about them and my drummer seems to think that that's what Dick is using these days. I didn't have the balls to look in the rear of his showman to confirm. I can't stand when people do that with my '66 Super at shows.

Comment

Bruce, How's you reject rate when buying from Antique Electronic? And how are you matching them?
                        I've noticed that many of the other retailers have yet to increase their pricing on these. If Mike is being honest then I guess I could assume that that means that these people haven't tried to restock since the wholesale price has increased.
                        Last edited by mr5f6a; 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I keep running into people that have worked with Dick. I didn't get a chance to speak to him myself; but, I guess he has a 'whatever' attitude towards people claiming they've worked with him. I mean, how long has this guy been in the business? Forever. How could you remember everyone at that point? Ha.

Are you referring to Amperex Bugle Boys? Where the hell are you getting those?

Comment

I keep running into people that have worked with Dick. I didn't get a chance to speak to him myself; but, I guess he has a 'whatever' attitude towards people claiming they've worked with him. I mean, how long has this guy been in the business? Forever. How could you remember everyone at that point? Ha.

Are you referring to Amperex Bugle Boys? Where the hell are you getting those?
                            I repaired his amp and his Fender reverb unit. I did not work with him. He was a pretty nice person, as I recall.
                            We get Bugle through Richardson...
                            But be prepared to pay $429 for a quad of Chinese...

Comment

Wow! That's really good advice from someone I'm impressed by for working with a celebrity!

"Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X