Warped fiberboard... how to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warped fiberboard... how to fix?

So, I just received 3 pieces of 6"X6" grey fiberboard in the mail. I live in a very hot (and currently really humid) state, Arizona.

2 of the 3 pieces I got are noticeably warped. What's the best way to remedy this? Is there a way that any of you have had success with?

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
    So, I just received 3 pieces of 6"X6" grey fiberboard in the mail. I live in a very hot (and currently really humid) state, Arizona.

2 of the 3 pieces I got are noticeably warped. What's the best way to remedy this? Is there a way that any of you have had success with?
    I dampen the fiber, then flex it to get it straight.
    Then Put something heavy on it to keep it flat while it dries.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Do the same as for veneer ,steam with steam iron & clamp flat
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I second the steam iron. It might behoove you to do it once more before you assemble the pickup and lacquer it...if you are planning to do that step. I have also used a heat gun after ironing and clamping to get all of the moisture out of the fiber.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I dampen the fiber, then flex it to get it straight.
          Then Put something heavy on it to keep it flat while it dries.
          T
          I do the same as T does. I had some flatwork like that the other day with eyelets installed and I got them wet and made a stack with corrugated cardboard in-between each one (because of the eyelets) and clamped the stack in a hand vise over night and it worked pretty well.
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

After you get it flat and dry it's best to lacquer it up.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
            X