Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help sourcing a can-type filter capacitor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help sourcing a can-type filter capacitor...

Hello! I've got an older Trayner amp from the 70s that seems about ripe to have the filter caps replaced. 2 out of the 3 were pretty standard and easy to find exact replacements for but the 3rd is one of those funky aluminum cans that don't seem as common nowadays.

Here's a picture of the capacitor in question:
    http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/815/filtercap1.jpg

Does anybody know of a source for these? The writing on the can indicates that it's 40/40 MFD @ 450/450 VDC. Is there a more common equivalent for these nowadays? Whatever you guys can recommend I'm all ears.

EDIT:
    I found THIS guy who apparently custom makes a 47/47 uf @ 450v in the aluminum tube. His name is Bill Turner, anybody heard of him? The price seems right, but I wonder how the quality is?

Welcome to the place. As you have found out, the dual section cap that you need really isn't made anymore. You could use two separate caps to replace it or you could order one of the ones that you found online. I have never heard of the fellow before, but as you say the price is right.

All he does, is to take two small caps and wire them inside of a cardboard or metal sleeve. It looks more original than installing two separate caps, but electronically equivalent.

Comment

Weber used to build custom cap cans, try them. It's not on their capacitor page anymore but they might still do it.
      Stop by my web page!

Comment

Try this guy. He's in Canada but he does sell two section caps.
        Antique Radio Schematics and Capacitors for Tube Radios

Comment

Most of us today will use two individual caps wired into the circuit. Leave the now unused can cap for appearance.

Yes, 47uf is OK to sub for 40uf.

Antique Electronic Supply LLC has can caps. They have some 50uf + 50uf 500v ones, which should work. They have 40/20/20 cans, wire the two 20s together and you have your 40/40. Those are $30, I prefer a pair of 47uf caps at $3 each.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Most of us today will use two individual caps wired into the circuit. Leave the now unused can cap for appearance.

Antique Electronic Supply LLC has can caps. They have some 50uf + 50uf 500v ones, which should work. They have 40/20/20 cans, wire the two 20s together and you have your 40/40. Those are $30, I prefer a pair of 47uf caps at $3 each.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post

Yep, I've heard people having good luck with the F&T 50/50uf in this amp so I think i'll give that route a try.

Another thing I'm confused about with this amp are these small green capacitors that are labeled 0,1uf 400v. Are these electrolytic as well? Here's another picture from my amp:
              http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3...aynorboard.jpg

I've decided i'm just going to replaced all the electrolytics in one go. Most of them have been pretty easy to find aside from these:
              1. 150uf 16v
              2. 10uf 400v (substitute with 10uf 450v?)
              3. 68uf 63v

Anybody have a good source for these or a possible substitute?
              Last edited by sterlingwest; 08-01-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

The .1/400v green ones are not electrolytics

Comment

We just went thru this regarding a 70s Traynor. The 150u is a cathode bypass cap. Parallel a 100u and a 47u. 10u/450v is fine for that one. It only sees about 300-350 across it anyway. The 68u is a bias filter...a 100u/100v is the next best sub.
                  The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
                  X