Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What reading on my Elepro gaussmeter should I look for on a vintage-y Jazzmaster PU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What reading on my Elepro gaussmeter should I look for on a vintage-y Jazzmaster PU?

I ask because I am building my first set, never owned a Jazzmaster, and I will be using rod mags that I have on hand. This is for an upcoming project - probably finish the guitar about a month from now and start recording in December.

BTW I can't buy off-the-shelf guitars because they are WAY too small for my hands. For me it's build, commission, or do without : (

I have A2, A3, and A5 mags to try, and I have ordered from Mojo 3 pairs of bobbin sets - enough for 3 pairs of pickups so I can try all 3 mag types. I'm just wondering, since the mags will be longer than what would be vintage-correct (the shortest I have is 0.671"), what reading I should seek for mag reading. I use a weak tape demagnetizer for slow, semi-controlled degaussing.

FWIW my first try is going to be AWG42 single soderon on standard coil dimension, 8500 turns on neck and 9500 on bridge. I am listening to old surf recordings known to be made on Jazzmasters, and I'm keeping my eyes open for an opportunity to play a real vintage one. BTW if there is anyone in the Kansas City area with a vintage Jazzmaster who like to have me hand-deliver a 4-pack of Boulevard Tank 7, let me know : )
Working...
X