Ampeg SVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT

I have 580 vdc on node B in the power supply of this svt I'm working on.

Node A is 685vdc and R49 reads fine on my meter. R47 and R48 also check ok.

Node C is within spec as well.

Do wirewound like R49 change value before they fail?

I should add nodes D and E are within spec as well.
    Attached Files

What does node B read after R47 on the preamp board?
    Kind of strange that node C is not high also.

Comment

It's very odd that you find that nodes A&C are "within spec" but that the node B voltage is so high. Are you absolutely sure you are measuring at the correct point and that the amp you have is wired as shown in the schematic you attached?

Comment

Of topic but what a great power transformer!!
        Full wave Bridge HI-V rectifier, separate high voltage B+ winding for power tube plates, separate screen winding with a full wave rectifier, full wave bias supply... etc., etc...
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

The schematic notes mention that if the P2 connector to the preamp is disconnected, the voltage at node B will rise to 600V. Is there power to the preamp?

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          What does node B read after R47 on the preamp board?
          Kind of strange that node C is not high also.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You never said what the amp is doing or not doing.

Comment

Look normal to me, Node B is 585 and you have 580

Originally posted by leydenjar View Post
              I have 580 vdc on node B in the power supply of this svt I'm working on.

Node A is 685vdc and R49 reads fine on my meter. R47 and R48 also check ok.

Node C is within spec as well.

Do wirewound like R49 change value before they fail?

I should add nodes D and E are within spec as well.

Comment

Agree.
                What's the problem, if any?
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                  Look normal to me, Node B is 585 and you have 580
                  Per the posted schematic Node B nominal voltage is listed as 485V not 585V. So the oddity here is that the OP's reading is ~100V high at "B" but back to normal at "C" and subsequent nodes.

Also to answer the OPs other question "Do wirewound like R49 change value before they fail?" I would say no and even if R49 changed in value it would not explain the readings posted.
                  Last edited by Tom Phillips; 10-08-2012, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Ok. I am updating my voltages to reflect change in variac setting. It's now at 122vac.

I have 716 vdc at node A and that's what I have on ther plates of the power tubes as well.

I have 601 vdc on node B. I am measuring on the other side of R49. This is not a mistype. I then have 467vdc on node C.

Node D is measuring -186 vdc and I am measuring where the anodes of D12 and D13 meet on the circuit board. There are of course two circuit boards on these SVT amps which , to me, makes them a PITA to work on.

Measuring at the cathode of D14, Node E, I get 356vdc.

Another problem: I have 435vdc on the chassis of the preamp. I find this shocking (pun intended) and I almost found it to be so literally. How 435 vdc is getting on the chassis I don't know and I can't see anything touching the chassis from the preamp circuit that would cause this.

The amp does not pass signal though connected to speaker it does hum.

Comment

Ok. I am updating my voltages to reflect change in variac setting. It's now at 122vac.

I have 716 vdc at node A and that's what I have on ther plates of the power tubes as well.

I have 601 vdc on node B. I am measuring on the other side of R49. This is not a mistype. I then have 467vdc on node C.

Node D is measuring -186 vdc and I am measuring where the anodes of D12 and D13 meet on the circuit board. There are of course two circuit boards on these SVT amps which , to me, makes them a PITA to work on.

Measuring at the cathode of D14, Node E, I get 356vdc.

Another problem: I have 435vdc on the chassis of the preamp. I find this shocking (pun intended) and I almost found it to be so literally. How 435 vdc is getting on the chassis I don't know and I can't see anything touching the chassis from the preamp circuit that would cause this.

The amp does not pass signal though connected to speaker it does hum.
                      Think I had this same problem one time and it was the 6C4 tube was bad but would try pulling those preamp tubes along that string of Node B voltages and see if that brings the voltage back down. Plate impedance changes sometimes when tubes go bad.
                      KB

Comment

Ok, this makes much more sense than what was earlier reported (that node C was ok). Node A is close enough, as are D and E.
                        Get your preamp ground sorted out and you may solve it. Pin 4 of the P2 connector grounds the preamp. It is the shield of the signal wire (pin1) and it may be broken.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks very much g-one. You were spot on.

Comment

I have to revive this thread because this amp has a horrible hum after I put i new tubes. I think the old ones were so weak the hum wasn't bad but with new winged c sextet it's unbearable. It sounds like heater hum. LOUD heater hum. I've got 4.5 v ac at node A ?! I've got .2vac at node D but 1.8vac on pin 7 of the 12bh7.

Help!

Comment

I have to revive this thread because this amp has a horrible hum after I put in new tubes. I think the old ones were so weak the hum wasn't bad but with new winged c sextet it's unbearable. It sounds like heater hum. LOUD heater hum. I've got 4.5 v ac at node A ?! I've got .2vac at node D but 1.8vac on pin 7 of the 12bh7.

Help!

Forgot to mention. The amp sounds very good now after all the work I did to it. Except for the hum of course.

Also, it does NOT have a hum balance pot as shown in the schemo. It just has 2 x 100 ohm resistors to ground. I have them grounded on one of the can cap grounds.
                              Last edited by leydenjar; 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X