Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Original versus New Floyd Rose Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Original versus New Floyd Rose Special?

I wanted to ask if anyone has used the newer Floyd Rose Special tremolos versus the older original FR and what they thought about the newer special? Tone difference?

I"m in the process of building another strat with a FR and was thinking about going with the special this time.

Thanks

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
    I wanted to ask if anyone has used the newer Floyd Rose Special tremolos versus the older original FR and what they thought about the newer special? Tone difference?

I"m in the process of building another strat with a FR and was thinking about going with the special this time.

Thanks
    If you want your trem to return to pitch when you're done with it, DO NOT buy the special. The baseplate is too soft, and I believe the posts are crappy also. It's like wiping your butt with a one hundred dollar bill, setting it on fire, then flushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plucky View Post
      If you want your trem to return to pitch when you're done with it, DO NOT buy the special. The baseplate is too soft, and I believe the posts are crappy also. It's like wiping your butt with a one hundred dollar bill, setting it on fire, then flushing it.
      Really?... I thought the baseplate was made of 50/50 rockwell steel? or on the Korean made FR

From the Floyd Rose site, The Floyd Rose Special is our Authentic version of a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo system manufactured in Korea exclusively for Floyd Rose. The Floyd Rose Special maintains the construction parameters and features of an Original Floyd Rose, while utilizing zinc alloy saddles in place of steel and a zinc alloy sustain block in place of brass. The design specifications and high quality materials of the Special Series Floyd Rose bridge will hold up to the demands of today's performers.

The one I just ordered from MF was the Korean made version supposedly the same that come on the Charvel SoCal. I did read that the chinese made versions are soft bridgeplate and not durable.

Looks like the ones on Ebay should be avoided then since they are coming out of China...

Thanks Plucky

Comment

I just bought a Korean Floyd made by WSC. It's seems to be made fine.

I got it here:

Pickup Parts, Bridges - Guitar items in gj guitarpart shop store on eBay!
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I just bought a Korean Floyd made by WSC. It's seems to be made fine.

I got it here:

Pickup Parts, Bridges - Guitar items in gj guitarpart shop store on eBay!
          Hey David,

I wanted to ask, The bridge plate is probably zink, does the screw holes that the screws that lock the saddles to the bridgeplate have hardened steel inserts in them to keep them from stripping out?

That was a common problem back in the early 90's with Schaller FR tremolos. Set intonation and when tightening the screws that hold the saddles in place the screw hole would strip. I think Schaller fixed that issue around 1994 or after.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
            Hey David,

I wanted to ask, The bridge plate is probably zink, does the screw holes that the screws that lock the saddles to the bridgeplate have hardened steel inserts in them to keep them from stripping out?

That was a common problem back in the early 90's with Schaller FR tremolos. Set intonation and when tightening the screws that hold the saddles in place the screw hole would strip. I think Schaller fixed that issue around 1994 or after.

Thanks
            No, doesn't look like it, but I'm not anticipating a problem. I've never stripped out one of those bridges. Just don't over tighten the screws.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X