I need preamp education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need preamp education

In a 3 tube preamp set up..... V1 ( 1st gain stage ) V3 ( PI ) Exactally what does V2 do and how does it change tone when putting different brands of
    12ax7 in that position. What is V2's importance in the overall scheme of the preamp ? I can't seem to find much info on V2. Thanks for your answers in advance.

JIm

Originally posted by bluesmannumber1 View Post
    In a 3 tube preamp set up..... V1 ( 1st gain stage ) V3 ( PI ) Exactally what does V2 do and how does it change tone when putting different brands of
    12ax7 in that position. What is V2's importance in the overall scheme of the preamp ? I can't seem to find much info on V2. Thanks for your answers in advance.

JIm
    The first section of V2 is typically a second gain stage and the second section is a driver for the tone stack. V2 tends to be more forgiving than V1 for tube noise. If your amp uses a 12ax7 in V2 I would not suggest any major reduction in gain as it will change the impedance driving the tone stack. What amp are you talking about?

Chris
    Tubeboy

Comment

My amp is an 18 watt Marshall Clone with an ef86 chanel. Thanks

Comment

The typical tone stack is completely subtractive - it cuts only, no boost. SO after coming through the stack, the signal will be reduced from what it was before the stack. So on many amps the stage after the EQ is to recover the lost level.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

That is the information I was looking for. It is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X