Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Foil Magnet Source

Hello All,

It's been a while. I'm looking to source a few dozen (maybe more) gold foil magnets. If anyone out there can help, I'd appreciate it. Rob@Allstar can't do that small of a run, so if anyone would like to get in a group buy of some sort maybe that'll work too.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I'd probably go in on a run. There are a few other pieces that need to be fabricated to make a replica, however. Let me know if you are pushing this project further

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gold Foil Parts 101512_0324.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	827145

Here's what I got so far. I tried using an unoriented bar mag, but couldn't get enough out of it to work magnetized through the thickness instead of width. Not sure about unoriented bars, I have a magnetool 24C magnetizer, didn't get as much gauss that I thought I would from those magnets. It's not exactly "reproduction", but didn't what to try and source injection molded parts. I just drew up some geometry for a local laser guy, and he cut me the bobbin flatwork from fiberglass phenolic, and had the magnet housing made with .125" acrylic. Worked good, a little tight under the housing, but to be expected for such a thin pickup. The customer wants the extra width because has had complaints about the e string being a little dead. The original magnets had a notch on either end for the mounting screws, so we moved the mounting screws wider, not to interfere with wider string spacing.

Basically I need a .125" thick magnet (bonded ceramic or otherwise) that would be strong enough to get the job done. I can work around anything close to a humbucker bar in dimension. It is fairly easy to farm out the laser work locally, and I could help if need be. This guy seemed to prefer Corel Draw, I think it might be the norm for laser work, but I don't know, I'm a wood guy.

As for the baseplate and cover, my customer provided them, so not sure about cost, etc. They had the cover machined out of aluminum, not stamped, but the baseplate is steel. They are not "replicas". I remember a thread here of someone doing some covers that looked impressive.

I'm going to try using a humbucker bar magnet standing on edge, with the magnet sticking out of the baseplate (waiting on new baseplates and magnet housing), but would like to get something more like the originals, I will even settle with vintage correct magnets if that is the only way we can get something going.

Jeff

Comment

looks really good Jeff How many magnets do you need? 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Callahan View Post
          Basically I need a .125" thick magnet (bonded ceramic or otherwise) that would be strong enough to get the job done.
          You can find small ceramic magnets with the poles on the flat faces pretty easily. You may have to use a couple, as they are usually squarish. They might even have some at Radio Shack or some such places.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That is a good suggestion David.

Squat magnetic field on a steel baseplate. I always bend the edges of the baseplate up as I think of those edges as being the return poles.

Comment

Working...
            X