Wire Tension and Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Tension and Tone

I was just winding some Strat pickups and I noticed that less tension seemed to get a brighter tone. I can't prove this considering that I am winding by hand and may be changing the winding pattern slightly too. Can anyone varify how more or less tension will affect tone? Thanks.

Originally posted by voodoochild View Post
    I was just winding some Strat pickups and I noticed that less tension seemed to get a brighter tone. I can't prove this considering that I am winding by hand and may be changing the winding pattern slightly too. Can anyone varify how more or less tension will affect tone? Thanks.
    What happens when you wax pot the coil?

Comment

quantum theories....

we had long threads about this, go look on the old ampage site. But in short its generally accepted that yes it does make a brighrter tone. However, in my Extech experiments I didn't see this happening. One theory is tighter coils put the magnet wire closer to the magnet poles, making a smaller coil so you get a hotter magnetic signal happening versus a looser coil which is bigger by a smidgeon. Its probably more what thoughts you are thinking as you wind, are you thinking bright thoughts or dark thoughts? Nitewinder thinks heavy thoughts when he winds so his loose coils affect gravity differently. I think old thoughts so my stuff always sounds real vintage.....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

now that's funny ......cracks me up
        www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

That is Funny! Safe to say, i think everyone knows I like the Metal!! I also love the vintage winds too. Kills me how 8.3k A5 slams for metal!! Sure, It wont have the ease of a 16k, 23k playablity and it makes you work harder for notes in this type of a situation, but the rewards in tone are just fabulous.
          Don't forget a looser wind may bring chime, at the expense of looser lows, and lowmids. Not quite as defined, but definately in the vintage direction.

Also, remember wax (Joe mentioned already), temperature, and how long you let them soak are going to play an inportant part in the finished tone, and stabilizing feedback. Wee bit to much, and the pickup has no life or breath.
          Yes, its true.....I make a 16k single coil......but it still sounds like a singlecoil..........

Comment

Thank you all. That really helps me understand more of what I was thinking. Its good to talk to others who have experience. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X