winding machine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winding machine.

ok so i dont wanna buy one because they are way expensive.

im thinking about trying to make a winding machine out of an old cd player.

use the spinner for well.. the spinner! lol and the eye to traverse the wire.

or im thinking tht the cd spinner might not be powerful enough so maybe the spinning mechanism from an old remote control car.

ok so im good at working electronics but not with the insides! lol so any wiring ideas???

thanks everyone!

Probably the best thing to do is what most of us did. Find an old sewing machine motor and go from there. I used one for many, many pickups and it worked very well.
    -Stan
    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
    Stan Hinesley Pickups
    FaceBook

Comment

ok, but we dont have one at the house.

i was wanting to make one for free or cheap lol, im cheap.

Comment

While it may not be cheap, I posted a 4 part article on a home built winder on this forum some months ago, so you can get an idea of what is involved.

Doctor X

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorX View Post
          While it may not be cheap, I posted a 4 part article on a home built winder on this forum some months ago, so you can get an idea of what is involved.

Doctor X
          i found them. thanks

Comment

Go to any good will store, I bet they have at least 1 for under 5 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
              Go to any good will store, I bet they have at least 1 for under 5 bucks
              yea, thanks what i was thinking. but sewing machines go up and down not spinning in a circular motion. how would i use it to spin the spindle around. because thats what they are for right? spinning the spindle?

Comment

You would have to disassemble and remove the reciprocating arm portion of the sewing machine to get at the shaft of the motor, where the reciprocating arm attaches. Or, at the point opposite on the other end of the machine altogether. The shaft might be accessible from there. Depends on the sewing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by jj19902003 View Post
                  yea, thanks what i was thinking. but sewing machines go up and down not spinning in a circular motion. how would i use it to spin the spindle around. because thats what they are for right? spinning the spindle?
                  Sewing machines have a wheel on one end, that you use by hand for advancing the needle. That spins around.

My first winder used the motor from a sewing machine, but not the whole machine. It was mounted on a piece of phenolic, with a metal bracket I fond somewhere that looked like it was used to hold a spool of something, complete with the rod. I used a belt to drive the rod, and had a round disk of fiberglass on the end to mount the bobbins. The sewing machine pedal controlled the speed. It didn't have a counter... back then they were all mechanical counters (battery powered calculators had just come out, and had red LED displays, as did "digital" watches)
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Go To Wolfes site and have a look at his sewing machine winder. Old singer I think. He, like I do, mounted the bobbin right onto the wheel that is used as David said. If it is not flat well then that is another issue, do as David said, take out the motor and make it work for you.

Comment

motors...

You want an OLD sewing machine from a goodwill store, the motors are seperate and easy to remove, they are belt drive, most of these sell for $10-15. Or go to ebay and you can usually find the motors by themselves. Don't buy a sewing machine from Ebay, the shipping will kill you.
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I just finished building one today with parts from ebay. Sewing machine motor with pedal and a digital counter along with a reed switch and some bits of wood. Total cost, about $30. Wound three pickups today also Man that wire is freakin small!
                        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                        X