Scavenging in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scavenging in California

G'day everyone. Well, here I am in sunny Long Beach on my annual holiday (vacation). I'll be visiting Vegas and SF whilst I am this side of the Pacific.

I noticed a post by Chuck H where he mentioned a probably long gone source of old kit for scavenging bits. Which got me thinking - does anyone know of any places where I might pick up useful bits and pieces on the cheap whilst I am here? I went to the Rose Bowl flea market at the weekend and was very disappointed with goods on offer.

Many thanks

Jeff
    It's not microphonic - it's undocumented reverb.

Alas.. eBay has destroyed most vestiges of places like that.

Comment

Aren't there some surplus outlets in San Francisco? Alltronics in Santa Clara for example. HSC in that area.

Here: *** Junktronix *** Resources

And Long Beach is full of potential.

I am a couple thousand miles from there, but here near Michigan State University, I visit their surplus facility weekly. The school never throws anything away, they send it to the facility so they can sell it for whatever they can get. I often find neat old tesat equipment and sometimes just fun stuff. Just this week there was a pair of Hitachi 60MHz scopes on the shelf for like $35 each. I bought a working WWV receiver for a few dollars recently. $5 tube table radios. And lots and lots of football shoes from the athletic department. I left those there. Found a great old HP 200 series audio oscillator for $5. Only thing wrong was a bent vane on the variable cap. 10 seconds with needlenose pliers and it worked.

But I suspect there are similar departments at major universities and schools in that area, especially since SF is SIlicon Valley territory.

I googled silicon valley colleges and universities and found a list on WIKI. Choosing Univ Cal Davis at random, I found at the UC Davis web site this:
      UC Davis Bargain Barn

SO look for universities in the areas you will visit, then check to see which ones have surplus/salvage operations. I bet many do.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll do some searching. Many thanks, as always.

Comment

If it's still there... Halted Electronics in Santa Clara will have a few dozen boxes of pulled tubes to rummage through. That was my favorite place to scout used good pulls. Since I'm not there I don't mind sharing. Good luck!

P.S. There are many overlooked fly fishing trout waters peripheral to surrounding suburbia too. But I'm not sharing that info
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You might find these places fun... haven't been for a while, myself.

Apex Electronics
            8909 San Fernando Rd
            Sun Valley, CA 91352
            Neighborhood: Sun Valley
            (818) 767-7202
            Apex Electronics

C & H Sales (used to be in Pasadena, now Duarte)
            805 Highland Ave
            Duarte, CA 91010
            (626) 256-7907
            C&H Surplus

All Electronics
            14928 Oxnard St
            Van Nuys, CA 91411
            Neighborhood: Van Nuys
            (818) 997-1806
            All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have now been advised that I will not be purchasing anything else while I am here in the USA other than bare essentials and anything my beloved would like for Christmas. This is a consequence of buying a rather nice PRS SE semi hollow. Not to worry - I have several large boxes of junk to use anyway.
              Cheers all
              Jeff

Comment

Hey go look anyway, just for fun. Then say, "Look, Honey, at all the stuff I am not buying!!!"
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Or just go get what you can find and use the excuse: "I needed these things anyway. You should be glad I found them at such a reasonable price. I SAVED money."

That's how my wife does it
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Hey go look anyway, just for fun. Then say, "Look, Honey, at all the stuff I am not buying!!!"
                    Oh yeah. That'll work. I think it was Oscar Wilde who said "I can resist anything except temptation itself". How could I not buy a piece of junk that has a chassis and case with a chunky PT - especially if it has 'world' voltages on the primary? I'll have to stick with the junk i have. And learn how to play at least one of my guitars.
                    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      Or just go get what you can find and use the excuse: "I needed these things anyway. You should be glad I found them at such a reasonable price. I SAVED money."

That's how my wife does it
                      Funnily enough I was on the same subject last week. She was buying a new pair of boots ( and I have no objection to that) and she was saying that they were 20% off and therefore she was saving $100 or whatever. She couldn't understand that she wasn't saving anything. The boots were still a lot of money, and they were going to cost that amount. No savings anywhere to be seen. All spends.

Ta

Comment

Originally posted by paggerman View Post
                        Funnily enough I was on the same subject last week. She was buying a new pair of boots ( and I have no objection to that) and she was saying that they were 20% off and therefore she was saving $100 or whatever. She couldn't understand that she wasn't saving anything. The boots were still a lot of money, and they were going to cost that amount. No savings anywhere to be seen. All spends.

Ta
                        I remember seeing a cartoon one time that had a fellow asking "Honey, where are we going to borrow all the money we just saved?

Comment

Working...
                        X